It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Smarty Jones win gives Preakness best ratings since 1990

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
In the second leg of the Triple Crown, race favorite Smarty Jones pulled out an amazing 11-1/2 length win over the competition. As well as setting a record with the win, the Preakness had a 27% ratings boost over last years race. Comming up is the final leg of the Triple Crown, and possibly the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.

The Assoiated Press
NEW YORK - Smarty Jones' record 11-1/2-length victory in the Preakness had the race's highest overnight TV ratings since 1990.

The 5-6:45 p.m. telecast, in which Smarty Jones won the second leg of the Triple Crown after his Kentucky Derby victory, drew a 7.2 overnight rating on NBC. That was a 29 percent increase from last year's 5.6. The 1990 Preakness, won by Summer Squall, had a 7.8.

Saturday's rating peaked at 9.8 from 6-6:30 p.m., which included the race. It was up 27 percent from last year's peak of 7.7 when Funny Cide also won the Preakness after winning the Kentucky Derby.

Comments:
I watched the race, and oh wow, Smarty pulled ahead quick on the last stretch. I hope he wins the Belmont, it would be exciting to see a Triple Crown winner.

[Edited on 5/16/2004 by crayon]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I heard that the ratings were better for the race than they were for the NBA playoffs. Wow!

Ben

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
how can the horse just break away from the pack like that

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
how can the horse just break away from the pack like that

By running faster

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
By running faster

Haha!!!

Not sure, but Smarty Jones just took off on the last stretch. It was very impressive. If he can do it again at the Belmont, Triple Crown baby!

First thing I thought of when I saw it was the horse was juiced. That should tell me how corrupt sports have gotten, here the first thing I think about when an individual beats someone by a lot is they are cheating. Sigh.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Ah, it's America, we are innocent until proven guilty. Even OJ

Just enjoy a rare treat of a horse, maybe they'll make a movie, call it "A Philadelphia Horse Story" or something like that...

top topics

join