It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Posada breaks nose

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yankees catcher Jorge Posada had surgery on his broken nose Wednesday night after getting hit in the face with a throw while breaking up a double play.

Posada walked off the field under his own power and was taken to a hospital during New York's 11-2 loss to the Anaheim Angels. He had surgery to set his nose and is expected to miss at least three or four games. The Yankees don't think Posada will have to go on the disabled list.

"First indications are, he should be fine," manager Joe Torre said.

But the Yankees weren't happy with Anaheim rookie shortstop Alfredo Amezaga, who made the submarine relay that hit Posada in the face.

"I don't think he should have gone underneath like that. I thought he could have just gone over the top," Torre said. "I'm not saying he wanted to hurt him, but I thought it was unnecessary to do that."

Amezaga felt badly about the injury and said he'd like to apologize to Posada.

"I'm very upset," Amezaga said. "He was a little late with the slide and I couldn't go over the top. It's part of baseball. I wasn't trying to hit him."

When asked whether he thought it was a dirty play, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said: "That's nothing I can comment on, really."

Posada, a four-time All-Star, slid short and wide of second base on Hideki Matsui's second-inning grounder. But Amezaga's throw ricocheted off Posada's hand and hit him in the nose.

Posada covered his face with his hands and stayed down for several moments while a trainer and Torre attended to him. When Posada stood up, blood was trickling from his nose.

John Flaherty came in to catch for New York in the top of the third.

Posada entered the night ranked second in the AL in slugging (.656), and he leads the Yankees with 23 RBIs. He's hitting .302 with eight homers.

"Obviously, we know how much Jorgie means to this team offensively and defensively," said Flaherty, who will start Thursday afternoon against Anaheim.

The Yankees plan to call up catcher David Parrish from Triple-A Columbus in time for that game. He's the son of former major league All-Star catcher Lance Parrish, now a bullpen coach for the Detroit Tigers.

TRD

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
But the Yankees weren't happy with Anaheim rookie shortstop Alfredo Amezaga, who made the submarine relay that hit Posada in the face.

"I don't think he should have gone underneath like that. I thought he could have just gone over the top," Torre said. "I'm not saying he wanted to hurt him, but I thought it was unnecessary to do that.

What!!!!!!

STFU and deal with it. It was a accident simple as that. Torre who gives a damm what he thinks if the Rookie thought that was the best way then that is that. He even say's he felt bad about hitting him. The Yankees make me laugh sometimes it's getting to a stage where it is quite pathetic.

new topics

join