It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Bowe Drops Suit Against Former Manager

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Former heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe dropped a lawsuit against former manager Rock Newman, and apologized for claiming Newman stole money from him.

Bowe wrote Newman a letter apologizing after dropping his claim for $55 million from his former manager.

"I was lied to and misled by a former adviser into thinking that you had stolen money from me," Bowe wrote. "You have now provided every detail about how my finances were handled. I understand now that I was wrong to claim you took money from me and that it was unfair of me to bring the action against you."

Newman said he demanded the apology because the suit had raised questions about his business practices.

"It hurt and was unfair," Newman said. "It wasn't enough just to drop the suit. I wanted an apology."

Bowe, who is expected to be released from prison next month after serving time for abducting his former wife and children, was with Newman from the time he turned pro until his career ended after two fights with Andrew Golota in 1996.

Bowe won the heavyweight title from Evander Holyfield in 1992, but lost it back to Holyfield the next year. Even without the title he was a popular attraction, and Newman said he grossed more than $60 million in the ring.

Bowe, now 36, has said he plans to fight again after his release from prison, despite evidence his former attorneys presented in court that he suffered brain damage from fighting.

"I wish he wouldn't fight. I don't want to see him risk his health," Newman said. "But I know he has to be greatly tempted with the garbage on top of the heavyweight division right now."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

join