It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Harrison targets Skelton

page: 1

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 06:52 PM
BBC Sports
Audley Harrison has set his sights on unbeaten double champion Matt Skelton.
Harrison, who outpointed Julius Francis in Bristol on Saturday for his 16th straight win, said he will fight Skelton "if the money is right".

"Matt Skelton brings something to the table - the British and Commonwealth titles and a number three European ranking," said Harrison.

"It's all about money, as it always is. If (promoter) Frank Warren wants to do it then it is going to cost."

There is a huge obstacle to a Harrison-Skelton contest though.

The Olympic gold medallist boxes on the BBC while Sky screen Skelton's fights as part of a deal with Warren's shows.

"We are looking to do some sort of collaboration with Warren," added Harrison.

"I was speaking to some of my American partners and they said at the end of the day Oscar De La Hoya uses Bob Arum and Roy Jones works with Don King, so why not?"

Despite Warren's critical comments throughout Harrison's professional career, it appears the two men are ready to do business.

But Harrison said he will not allow negotiations to drag on.

"If Skelton doesn't come off I have a good American opponent ready. I haven't time to hold up my career if Frank Warren doesn't want to move quickly," he warned.

Harrison insisted that Skelton is the only British fighter he will meet, ruling out former WBO world champion Herbie Hide or ex-British holder Danny Williams.

"I'm not talking about Williams or Hide. They've both been shouting their mouths off but had their chance and didn't take it," said Harrison.

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Ocelot]