It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Jones eyes Klitschko fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
BBC Sports
Roy Jones Jr has insisted he is ready to step back up to heavyweight to take on Vitali Klitschko or Mike Tyson.

Jones was stripped of the World Boxing Association heavyweight title for refusing to grant John Ruiz a rematch.

But he said: "People would love to see me fight somebody as big as Klitschko. I know I can whip him."

Jones will fight Antonio Tarver in Las Vegas on 15 May in a defence of the World Boxing Council light heavyweight crown he won against Tarver last year.

He then hopes to fight Tyson, who has fought less than a minute in almost two years, or Klitschko, who won the WBC heavyweight title last month by stopping South African Corrie Sanders.

Since Britain's Lennox Lewis retired, the heavyweight division has been fragmented.

Ruiz beat fellow Puerto Rican Fres Oquendo for the WBA title last month and American southpaw Chris Byrd kept the International Boxing Federation crown with a draw against Poland's Andrew Golota.

The IBF has granted Golota title rematch rights against Byrd and the two are expected to meet again on 10 July at New York's Madison Square Garden.

The winner will then face American Jameel McCline.

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join