It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Siaca takes Mundine's crown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
BBC Sports
Puerto Rico's Manny Siaca is the new WBA super middleweight champion after beating Anthony Mundine on points.

Siaca beat the Australian title-holder on a split decision from the three judges, improving his record to 18 wins - 16 by knockouts - and four losses.

It was Mundine's second defeat in 22 fights and he was making his second interim title defence.

Siaca, 28, sent Mundine to the canvas twice - at the end of the second round and again in the sixth.

It was Siaca's fourth challenge for the same title in his last seven fights having previously come up short against Bruno Girard and twice against Byron Mitchell.

Mundine sustained an ankle injury in training ahead of meeting Siaca, while the challenger had been angered by a late change of referee.

© BBC MMIV
------------------------------------------------------
Siaca Beats Mundine on Points Decision

Manny Siaca won a 12-round split decision over champion Anthony Mundine to take the World Boxing Association super middleweight title Wednesday.

Siaca (18-4, 16 KOs) knocked Mundine down twice - at the end of the second round and again in the sixth.

Japanese judge Takeshi Shimikawa scored the fight 114-113 for Mundine, while Sweden's Mikael Hook and South Korea's Shim Wang-sup both had Siaca winning 115-113.

"Really I thought I won . . . I thought I outboxed him," Mundine said. "I became a champion and I'll take the loss like a champion."

It was Mundine's second title defense. His last bout was Jan. 19 when he recovered from a knockdown to stop Yoshinori Nishizawa in the fifth round.

Mundine (20-2, 15 KOs) won the vacant WBA crown with a unanimous decision over Antwun Echols last September.

Siaca is the first Puerto Rican to win a super middleweight title.

"It was a close fight," Siaca said. "He's a great champion . . . he can be champion again."

Mundine didn't attend the post-fight news conference. However, his father and trainer Tony said Anthony would remain in boxing and seek a rematch with Siaca.

"We're going to try to get a rematch," Tony Mundine said. "I can't say too much until I have spoken to the WBA."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Ocelot]

join