It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Sanders 'calls it quits'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
BBC Sports
Corrie Sanders has retired from boxing following his unsuccessful shot at the WBC heavyweight title, according to news reports.

The South African was stopped in the eighth round by Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko in Los Angeles on Saturday.

And the 38-year-old, who suffered multiple injuries despite a battling display, has decided enough is enough.

"Even if I were offered a million dollars, I would say no," Sanders told South African media.

"I was almost there. So near, yet also so far. But I am grateful for the opportunity I had.

"The WBC told me they still wanted to keep me at number two in the rankings, but it's not only about the money, it's about one's health too.

"I won't be like other boxers and fight myself into the ground for a few rands.

"I'm happy to retire and it's nice for me to say that I've finished."

Sanders finished the fight against Klitschko with a broken nose, swollen ears and a deep cut over his eye and also underwent brain scans.

"The Sniper" finishes his 15-year career with 39 wins from 42 fights, 29 of those wins coming by way of knock out.

He has previously stated he would like to become a professional golfer on his retirement from the ring.

© BBC MMIV

TRD

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well i can't say im not suprised he is 38 and has had a tough career. He got well beaten by Klitschko and it looks like he knows when to call it a day.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Well i can't say im not suprised he is 38 and has had a tough career. He got well beaten by Klitschko and it looks like he knows when to call it a day.

Yeah. Plus he says he wants to play golf so now he has plenty of time to do that.

TRD

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thing is why golf?

It seems that so many sportsmen take up golf when there career starts to falter...lol!!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Thing is why golf?

It seems that so many sportsmen take up golf when there career starts to falter...lol!!

Yeah I dont know why. Golf is for Wussies.

new topics

top topics

join