It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Davis wins IBF cruiserweight title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
MIAMI (AP) -- Kelvin Davis won the vacant IBF cruiserweight title Saturday night, stopping Ezra Sellers in the eighth round.

Davis controlled the bout at Miami Jai-Alai, chasing and punishing the taller Sellers with rights and left hooks to the head and effective body shots.

In the eighth, Davis hurt Sellers with a right to the head along the ropes and chased him to a corner, where he floored Sellers with a left hook to the head.

With his left eye swelling, Sellers reached his feet, but Davis patiently continued the attack and caught Sellers with combinations to the head, flooring him with another left hook.

Referee Frank Santore didn't bother to count and stopped the fight at 2:33 of the round.

"I trained so hard and was in tremendous shape," said Davis, of Reno, Nev. "I knew I was in there with a vet. My plan was to try to stay patient."

Davis (21-2, 16 KOs) also dropped Sellers (27-6) in the fourth with a right to the head at the bell.

The IBF title had been vacant since last summer, when James Toney gave up the belt to move to the heavyweight division.

Davis and Sellers, of Pensacola, both weighed the cruiserweight limit of 190 pounds.

In another bout, New Zealand's Maselino Masoe won the second-tier WBA middleweight title by stopping Kenya's Evans Ashira in two rounds.

Masoe (26-2, 25 KOs) overwhelmed Ashira (23-1) with two knockdowns in each of the first and second rounds. The final knockdown, a left hook to Ashira's head, ended the fight at 44 seconds of the round. Masoe weighed 158 pounds, one less than Ashira.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

join