It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Tyson's K-1 debut set for this summer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Associated Press - April 21, 2004
TOKYO (AP) - Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson will make his K-1 fighting debut this summer, the sport's organizers said on their official Web site.

After many months of negotiation with Tyson and his representatives, we signed a contract on April 11,'' K-1 event producer Sadaharu Tanikawa is quoted as saying.

K-1 combines elements of kickboxing, karate and taekwando.

Financial details of the contract were not disclosed, nor was Tyson's opponent for the bout, which organizers said will be on or around July 31.

Organizers had originally planed to hold the bout in Japan, where K-1 is hugely popular. But because of difficulties in getting Tyson a visa for Japan, the bout will be held at an American venue.

Former NFL lineman Bob Sapp, who has made a name for himself in K-1, has been mentioned as a possible opponent for Tyson. The two had a heated exchange at a K-1 bout in Las Vegas last year.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
he's gonna be kickboxing?!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I wonder who's kids he's gonna eat next?

Or will it just be an ear again?

TRD

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This will be interesting..I didn't think Tyson knew any of the martial arts,i reckon he will get his azz kicked..

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
well the supposed fight is tyson vs. 6'7 375lbs bob sapp who i think is the current champion. Even tho its Mixed fighting Sapp has done well with pretty much just pummeling his opponents, so his style doesnt even encompass kicking. Tyson grew up a street fighter and i have a feeling he can do more than just throw explosive punches. I bet tyson will do very well in k-1 fighting. If this was UFC or PRIDE instead of K-1 tyson would get messed up pretty bad because he would be more of a tank abbott fighter with no real training in ground fighting and grappling.

top topics

join