It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Racist comments, Ron Atkinson resigns

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Football pundit Ron Atkinson has resigned from ITV Sport after making racist comments following Tuesday night's game between Chelsea and Monaco, a spokesman for the channel said.

Atkinson made the racist comments off-air after the game in a conversation with fellow ITV commentator Clive Tyldesley. However, the comments were broadcast by channels in the Middle East where the live feed had continued to run after full-time.The comments were understood to have been directed at Chelsea's Marcel Desailly, who is black. Atkinson is believed to have called the defender a "f***ing lazy 'n-word'".

Atkinson apologised for his comment.

The 65-year-old former Manchester United and Aston Villa manager admitted he had made an error that left him little option but to leave his job.He was also insistent that his track record in football, particularly in introducing black players while manager at West Bromwich Albion, proved that he was not a racist.

Ananova: News Source

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well he slipped up. Its always disappointing to learn that racism still exists in the sports world, especially considering the huge percentage of black athletes.

TRD

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well i can't say i really liked the man and they should have sacked him instead of giving him the chance to leave.Alas racism in soccer is still a issue and Atkinson paid the penalty,i hope no one else gives in a job in soccer now..

Sir

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
He stuffed up badly,i guess it was the only thing for him to do.I'm not surprised though as racism still goes on alot in football.The thing is are they going to clamp down on it more now?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
(i'll leave it up to the mods to decide whether or not this is suitable...)

update!

big ron apologises for racist comments

archive footage shows big ron's past career.

[Edited on 14/5/04 by TRD]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
cheers man. i am officially crap.

TRD

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
No prob!! I'll leave the images up untill we get a complaint lol!

I did have some others but i deleted them lol!

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well i'm not complaining lol! funny pics.

He deserve's all he gets the azz!

[Edited on 15/5/04 by The Terminator]

new topics

top topics

join