BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Undefeated heavyweight Joe Mesi expects to be cleared to resume training after sustaining a concussion in his last fight.
Mesi passed a series of neurological tests last week, the boxer's promoter, Tony Holden, said Thursday. The tests were required to determine whether
there were any lingering effects from the concussion Mesi sustained in his unanimous decision victory over Vassiliy Jirov at Las Vegas last month.
Holden said he didn't know if Mesi had sent the results to Nevada boxing authorities, who requested the tests. Holden said he was certain Mesi is
Mesi, a Buffalo-area native, is scheduled to throw out the first pitch at the home opener for the Class AAA Buffalo Bisons on Friday.
Mesi was hurt when he was hit in the upper back of the head by Jirov in the ninth round of a 10-round fight. The punch knocked Mesi down for the first
time in the fight.
Mesi was knocked down twice more in the final round but hung on for the victory, raising his record to 29-0. He moved up to third in the WBC
Holden referred to the punch as an illegal blow and said that Jirov should've been penalized. Officials ruled the punch to be legal, saying Mesi
inadvertently ducked into it.
Mesi would like to schedule his next fight for August, but Holden said he's not making any plans until after Vitali Klitschko fights Corrie Sanders on
April 24 to determine the WBC heavyweight champion.
One option for Mesi is a bout with former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, who announced last month that he intends to keep fighting despite
losing badly to James Toney in October.
Holden said he is scheduled to meet with Holyfield later this month.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.