It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Despite loss to Brewster, Klitschko refuses to put down his gloves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
BERLIN (AP) -- Wladimir Klitschko says he's not quitting boxing after his surprising knockdown loss to Lamon Brewster, the Bild reported Tuesday.

The newspapers in Germany, where Klitschko built his career, were also full of speculation about blood tests taken from the fighter after the fight for the minor WBO title on Saturday in Las Vegas.

Klitschko's camp said the tests at Desert Spring Hospital showed something was wrong with their fighter's health, and may explain why he showed such poor condition in going down in five rounds.

"The fight is lost, that's clear. There's no excuse for my performance," Klitschko told the Bild. "But I don't want to, and I definitely won't end my career this way.

"I was in control of the fight, then in the middle of the second round I noticed something was wrong. The strength literally drained out of my body. My legs were like rubber. I now need to find out with certainty what was wrong with me."

The Ukrainian is the younger brother of heavyweight contender Vitali Klitschko, who will fight South Africa's Corrie Sanders on April 24 for the vacant WBC title.

Vitali Klitschko said the blood tests revealed his brother's sugar levels were four times higher than normal.

"There were also some other things that weren't normal," Vitali Klitschko told the Web site boxingtalk.net, but wouldn't elaborate on his statements.

The Klitschkos are extremely popular in Germany, but that didn't stop the country's media from joining the chorus of voices who say Wladimir should quit boxing after his knockout by Brewster, a huge underdog.

Last year, Klitschko was also knocked out in a two-round dismantling by Sanders, first raising suspicions he can't take a punch.

"Dr. Wimp!," was the huge red headline by Bild, Germany's largest circulation newspaper. That was a reference to his doctorate earned in his homeland.

Klitschko's camp, however, said they had no time to deal with the ramifications of the fight, which several German newspapers called an "embarrassing" and "shameful" performance.

"As bitter and puzzling as Wladimir's KO, and the circumstances afterwards were, we've got no time to think about it," said Klitschko co-trainer Fritz Smudek.

"The only thing important now is that Vitali climbs into the ring against Sanders in championship form."

If Wladimir Klitschko's career is ended, it will have been a sudden downfall. Ever since winning the super-heavyweight gold medal at the 1996 Olympics at age 19, he has been groomed as a future heavyweight champion.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by Ocelot]

TRD

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This was a shock that he lost and something doesn't add up as to why he suddenly run out of gas..Seems strange about his sugar levels and that.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
This was a shock that he lost and something doesn't add up as to why he suddenly run out of gas..Seems strange about his sugar levels and that.

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final results are.

TRD

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah thats if they disclose the results..It just doesn't seem right i guess we will have to wait and see as you say.

But what if he can't take a punch like they are saying? And it's just a excuse for his performance?

top topics

join