It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Caddie Edwards Dies of Lou Gehrig's at 49

page: 1

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 02:18 PM
The wonderful life of Bruce Edwards has come to an end. Edwards will be best remembered for his inspirational image behind Tom Watson's 5 under par in the first round of last years U. S. Open. Comming up to the 18th green Edwards got a well deserved standing ovation from the gallery for his positive outlook and his push to not let ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) be an excuse for non-envolvement. Edwards had been Watson's caddie for 30 years.

Associated Press
"It's not a good day for any of us," said Ben Crenshaw, who picked Edwards to be in charge of the caddies at the 1999 Ryder Cup (news - web sites). "He was a real professional and one of the most positive human beings I've ever been around. It's not fair. They took a good one there."

Edwards died just hours after being honored in Augusta, Ga., with the Ben Hogan award, given annually by the Golf Writers Association of America to someone who remained active in the game despite a physical handicap or serious illness.

Edwards' father, Jay, accepted the award. Watson also spoke, telling the crowd to celebrate his caddie's life.

"No long faces," Watson said. "Let's celebrate his wonderful heart. Not a mean bone in his body."

I remember watching that round of the US Open. Being from KC and Watson being my hometown hero, I enjoyed his run. And I did get a little tear in my eye when they approached the 18th. Watson allowing Edwards to lead by a step or 2 to the green.

I hope a cure can be found. ALS is a horrible way to go.

[Edited on 4/8/2004 by crayon]