DENVER (AP) -- Prosecutors in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case Friday joined the alleged victim in asking the judge to set a trial date quickly.
In a court filing, prosecutor Mark Hurlbert asked the judge to require Bryant to enter a plea, saying "the emotional and mental toll on [the alleged
victim] is truly devastating as this case lingers on."
Bryant's attorneys told the judge they would respond Monday to the requests, according to court records.
Once Bryant enters a plea, the trial must begin within six months unless he waives his right to a speedy trial.
Bryant, 25, is accused of sexually assaulting the woman June 30 at a Vail-area resort where she worked and he was a guest. He has said they had
Bryant's attorneys did not return a message left after business hours.
John Clune, the alleged victim's attorney, said in a court filing last week that the woman has received hundreds of phone calls and e-mails
threatening death or mutilation, and said that activity would not end until after the case goes to trial.
In a letter to the judge included with Clune's filing, the woman's mother asked the judge to quickly set a trial date so her daughter could return to
as much normalcy as possible after living in four states in six months trying to outrun the media and defense investigators.
Hurlbert acknowledged that hearings to determine what evidence can be used during the trial are taking a long time but said prosecutors are not
causing any delays.
Hearings in the case resume April 26, when more witnesses are expected to testify on the woman's sexual history and on Bryant's request to throw out
evidence that his attorneys argue was collected illegally.
If convicted, Bryant faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.