It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SciFi and Science @ the Movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Tom Clancy has often evoked a "Damn! I told you it could play out like that" from people in the know, based on his astute attention to the science and processes of the subject matter he writes on.
Given this yardstick, what are your choices for the best application of extrapolating out established science into some future state, in a novel or movie?
As a starter, I was impressed with Virtuosity ( starring Washington & Crowe) and where they took nano computing.

[Edited on 15-11-2002 by Bout Time]

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 12:19 PM
link   
now, its not the movies, but i like the books by Iain M. Banks. they are also have some very nice socio-political commentary, in particular regarding the interaction of 'civilised beings' with technology.

- qo.

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Can you recommend a title(s)? I need something to immerse myself in besides business reading and Clancy is just depressing now days, with our global state of affairs and all, you know?

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Star Wars. The stuff in those movies would be good. I do'nt mean an evil empire. Or a Death Star.

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Oh, the Star Wars novels 2.

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 09:15 AM
link   
bout time:

my persoal recommendations.

Iain M. Banks: Player of Games, Consider Phlebas, and Use of Weapons. Look to Windward is also very good.

however, don't pass up the classic Foundation Series from Isaac Asimov. a little dated now but still brilliant.

Dune (Frank Herbert), of course, is a classic and has some interesting ideas on technological development.

- qo.

top topics

join