It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Hornung: Notre Dame Must Lower Standards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Notre Dame Alumni and Hall of Fammer Paul Hornung has made some profound comments on why ND is not competitive in football these days. In a radio interview Hornung stated that to compete in sports these days a team must have the "black athlete" and that ND needs to lower their academic standards to get them. Hornung has in the past criticized ND about its academic standards.

Associated Press: news.yahoo.com
DETROIT - Football great Paul Hornung said in a radio interview that his alma mater, Notre Dame, needs to lower its academic standards to "get the black athlete."

"As far as Notre Dame is concerned, we're going to have to ease it up a little bit," Hornung told Detroit's WXYT-AM in an interview before the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame banquet Tuesday.

Comments:
Maybe Notre Dame wants to be known more for its academics than its sports? Regardless, you don't come out and say that "race X" is not as smart as "race Y". You end up starting fires that you cannot put out yourself.

[Edited on 3/31/2004 by crayon]

[Edited on 3/31/2004 by crayon]

Ben

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
What makes ND is there high standards, without these what is ND

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
After sticking his foot in his mouth, Hornung is retracting his comments, imagine that.

Hornung Regrets 'Black Athlete' Comment

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Paul Hornung regrets suggesting that Notre Dame needs to lower his academic standards to "get the black athlete."

"I was wrong," the former Heisman Trophy winner told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Wednesday. "What I should have said is for all athletes, it is really tough to get into Notre Dame."

During a radio interview Tuesday night in Detroit, he told WXYT-AM that his alma mater has to "ease it up a little bit" on its standards.

[Edited on 4/1/2004 by crayon]

Ben

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Notre Dame coach Tyrone Willingham dismissed comments by former Heisman Trophy winner Paul Hornung that the school needs to lower its academic standards to admit more black athletes.

"I believe the things that were said really have no merit, so therefore they deserve no real comment from me," Willingham said after spring practice Thursday. "Let's move forward."

In a radio interview Tuesday, Hornung said that Notre Dame needs to lower its academic standards to "get the black athlete." The next day, Hornung said he was wrong and should have said the university needs to lower its standards to get better athletes in general.

Notre Dame spokesman Matthew Storin said in a statement Wednesday that the 1956 Heisman winner was an illustrious alumnus, but that his comments were "generally insensitive and specifically insulting to our past and current African-American student-athletes."

Willingham, Notre Dame's first black head coach in any sport, on Thursday declined to answer further questions about Hornung or whether Notre Dame needs to change its academic standards. In the past he has said there is no need for the school to change its academic standards.

Linebacker Brandon Hoyte, who is black, said he was surprised by Hornung's comments.

"I think regardless of who says it, whenever you hear a comment like that you're always overtaken and you're always shocked," he said.

new topics

top topics

join