It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: HBO SPORTS SIGNS ROY JONES JR. TO A MULTI-YEAR BROADCASTING DEAL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

HBO Sports has reached an agreement with world-renowned fighter Roy Jones Jr. for a multi-year broadcasting deal, it was announced today by Ross Greenburg, president, HBO Sports, and Rick Bernstein, senior vice president and executive producer, HBO Sports.

"Roy has proven his boxing excellence in the ring with titles in four different weight divisions," said Bernstein. "Now he will bring those hard-earned insights to our television audience."

Jones, who is replacing the retiring George Foreman, will sit ringside for HBO's flagship "World Championship Boxing" series and on HBO Pay-Per-View telecasts. He has previously worked as expert commentator on "HBO Boxing After Dark" telecasts, which began in 1996. In addition to his broadcasting duties, Jones, 35, will continue his boxing career, which has included a string of remarkable and stunning achievements .

Starting in the middleweight division, Jones has also won titles in the super middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. His journey through the weight classes culminated in his historic victory over belt-holder John Ruiz for a heavyweight championship title on March 1, 2003. He was voted the "Fighter of the Decade" in the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America, and has been at the top of the rankings for virtually everyone's "pound-for-pound" listings for years. His ring record stands at 49-1, 38 KOs. He is presently world light heavyweight champion.

"I am looking forward to being part of the HBO boxing broadcast team," said Jones. "Analyzing and breaking down fights is a natural part of my boxing experience, and I love the energy and excitement only a world-class boxing match can provide. I am delighted that Ross Greenburg and Rick Bernstein decided to pass the torch from George to me. This is a showcase job."

"Roy has been a part of the HBO Sports family since 1992, and I know he has a deep appreciation and understanding of what a significant position he has accepted," said Greenburg. "The winners here will be the HBO subscribers who will hear insights from one of this generation's most accomplished boxers."

A native of Pensacola, Fla., Jones will reunite with Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant beginning with the April 10 edition of HBO's "World Championship Boxing." Harold Lederman is the broadcast crew's unofficial scorer.

TRD

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This is a good career move for him,i know he will continue to fight but it's a job for him when he retires,not that he really needs the money.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
This is a good career move for him,i know he will continue to fight but it's a job for him when he retires,not that he really needs the money.

I thought it was a good idea too. I mean who better to do commentating on Boxing than "the Man" himself!

TRD

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah that's right Ocelot,i didn't think he was 35 though,how long do ypu think he will fight on for?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yeah that's right Ocelot,i didn't think he was 35 though,how long do ypu think he will fight on for?

I think maybe this year and the next and that will be it for him. There's nothing else for him to prove. He is THE MAN!!

TRD

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yes he has achieved alot,i would like to see him ight a few more heavyweights before he decides to quit.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
NEW YORK (AP) -- Roy Jones Jr. has a new job to keep himself busy between fights.

Jones will replace George Foreman as the expert boxing commentator on HBO, agreeing to a multiyear contract with the network.

The 35-year-old Jones, who fights Antonio Tarver on May 15, will begin his duties on an April 10 card featuring welterweights Cory Spinks and Zab Judah and heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko.

Jones, who has done some commentary for the network, will take over for Foreman, who did his last fight for HBO last month.

"This is a showcase job," Jones said.

Jones will sit ringside for HBO's World Championship Boxing series and the network's pay-per-view fights, assuming he is not fighting in them.

Jones, who holds the light heavyweight title, said he planned to continue fighting.

top topics

join