It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Baseball news 23/03/04

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Closer Mariano Rivera and the Yankees have agreed to terms on a two-year, $21 million contract extension through 2006.The Yankees scheduled an afternoon news conference to announce the deal.

Rivera is expected to be paid $10.5 million in 2005 and 2006. He will make $8.89 million in 2004, the final season of a four-year contract.The extension includes a team option for 2007 at $10.5 million that could become guaranteed based on games finished the previous two seasons.Neither side wanted to negotiate during the season, and Rivera didn't want to become a free agent.Rivera, MVP of the 1999 World Series and last year's AL Championship Series, helped the Yankees win four Series titles and six AL pennants. He was 5-2 with a career-low 1.66 ERA last year and had 40 saves in 46 chances, increasing his career total to 283.

Mark Prior

Chicago Cubs pitcher Mark Prior expects to miss his first start of the season as he recovers from an inflamed right Achilles' tendon.Prior was scheduled to pitch Chicago's third game on April 8 at Cincinnati. The Cubs start the season with six road games -- three against the Reds, then three at Atlanta."I'd be happy with the first homestand or the end of the first road trip," Prior said Monday. "That would be the most optimistic."Prior threw 50 pitches Monday, 35 off the mound and 15 on the side."It felt fine," Prior said. "I'm just tired. I'm trying to get back into shape and trying to work my pitch counts up."

Related story's

MLB

New York Times

join