It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Farewell to veterans stadium

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Veterans Stadium was reduced to a pile of rubble in just more than a minute on Sunday, as two honorary imploders pushed a symbolic plunger.About 3,000 pounds of explosives took down the old concrete home of the Philadelphia Phillies and Eagles, section by section in a clockwise direction as loud booms rang out.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you just witnessed history," team announcer Dan Baker told the cheering crowd of several hundred people.

Former Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, a member of the 1980 World Series team, and the Phillie Phanatic pushed the ceremonial red plunger as the explosions began.The Vet, home to the Phillies and the Eagles for more than 30 years, imploded on schedule at 7 a.m.A large area around the sports complex in South Philadelphia was closed off, and airspace above the stadium was restricted to a 1,500-foot elevation for a quarter-mile radius during the implosion.Once the dust settles, workers will begin breaking down the concrete pieces, which will amount to 70,000 cubic yards of material.Contractors will be recycling debris on the site until July, and the spot will eventually serve as a 5,500-space parking lot.The Phillies plan to paint an outline of the Vet's playing field across the new parking lot, and place granite markers at the former home plate, pitching mound and base locations.New baseball-only and football-only stadiums have been built nearby to replace the Vet. The Eagles began playing in their new home, Lincoln Financial Field, last year. The Phillies played their last game at the Vet in September; their season opener in Citizens Bank Park is April 12.

[Edited on 22/3/04 by TRD]

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
why did they blow it up?

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
why did they blow it up?

Originally posted by Ben
New baseball-only and football-only stadiums have been built nearby to replace the Vet. The Eagles began playing in their new home, Lincoln Financial Field, last year. The Phillies played their last game at the Vet in September; their season opener in Citizens Bank Park is April 12.

TRD

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Did anyone watch it go up or down for that matter,wasn't it on the TV..

PA you must have heard it?

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Did anyone watch it go up or down for that matter,wasn't it on the TV..

PA you must have heard it?

I watched it this morning on tv. I only live 10 miles from where the Vet once stood and planned to watch the implosion live, but they blocked off such a large area that I could see much more on TV where they had cameras all around it, helicopters with cameras, and even cameras inside that they obviously sacrificed.

I could hear it from my house like it was in my backyard and could even feel the ground beneath me move. It was pretty wild, I still heard the explosions about 15 seconds after it was already imploded, I guess that was the time it took for the sound to travel 10 miles.

I had quite an empty feeling in my stomach as it went down, I had many, many memories of that place and it will be hard to get used to it not being there.

I posted some pics of the Vet and the new Citizens Bank ballpark in the Phillies thread.
www.sportztawk.com...

Farewell to Veterans Memorial Stadium (1971-2004)

Check out the Phillie Phanatic watching his old home come down:

TRD

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow i bet that was good,must have been a huge explosion.

Yeah i remember when they rebuilt part of my Soccer team stadium,it didn't feel the same going back there.

Yep i see that thread i replied in it!

[Edited on 21/3/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I know that they have new homes( the players) but destroying a sadium with so many memories is sad, i didnt like that one bit. BUt i gues sit had to be done.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I was sad to see it go too, but they really need the space for parking. All of Philadelphia's stadiums are in one complex so with the two new stadiums, that used to be parking, now there is nowhere to park.

Here is an aerial view of the Philadelphia sports complex. Obviously the Vet is gone as of this morning. The new Phillies ballpark is under construction in the photo, right under where it says "MLB"

Ben

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
where was the old stadium

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i dont think the old stadium was included in that picture

new topics

top topics

join