It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: PFL:BOXING: Roy Jones Jr. SportzNewz Boxing Profile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Diamonds may be a "girl's best friend," but in the world of pro boxing, world championship belts are a boxer's best friend, and the Pride of Pensacola certainly has his share of them. The 33-year old Jones drapes himself with no less than six title belts in a publicity photo touting his rap CD, Round One, which is a hardscrabble depiction of how the flashy superstar perceives his life, dazzling career and tumultuous criticism.

Bio-HBO.com
A superb athlete with an infectious, starburst personality, Jones' passion for his kids, music and playing basketball outshine his perceived casual indifference to fighting. But anyone who has watched Roy's blurring, dizzying display during training would understand and see firsthand that he enjoys life to its fullest and he has a deep-seeded enthusiasm for the sport of boxing.

Fiercely independent and determined to blaze an alternative trail for others to follow in pro boxing, Jones stays a step ahead of the crowd by quietly advising other boxers to "never let them know what you're thinking." He is self managed and effectively has steered his remarkable 13-year pro career without the aid of a promoter.

So when critics in the media, fans and so called Roy Jones experts and others in boxing doubted and questioned Jones' heart, desire and wisdom in deciding to challenge World Boxing Association (WBA) Heavyweight Champion John Ruiz, they discarded his word - which is his bond. Ruiz's manager Norman Stones heard Roy's animated campaign to meet Ruiz firsthand on his cell phone just days before his latest light heavyweight title defense in Portland against Clinton Wood.

Don King, who Roy says is one of the greatest promoters in history and represents Ruiz, entertained a fiery plea from Jones in his Deerfield Beach, FL office nearly a year before the fight was made. The fact is, Jones' vision of challenging for the heavyweight title burned inside him for longer than he can stand. His mission to fight Ruiz never wavered because Ruiz represented two things Jones loves best about boxing - world title belts and history.

The consensus "pound-for-pound" best boxer in the world, Jones has defeated the best fighters in three weight divisions. He has already staked his claim as one of the greatest and most talented boxers in history. He has never been licked in the ring, his only setback coming on a controversial disqualification when he fired a glancing blow to Montell Griffin after he crouched on one knee to avoid a patented Jones onslaught.

The bottom line is Jones in 22-1 in world championship fights. He was voted the "Fighter of the Decade" in the 1990's by the Boxing Writers Association of America. He has made 11 successful defenses in unifying the 175-pound division. He's the former IBF super middleweight and middleweight world champion and was The Ring Magazine's "Fighter of the Year" in 1994.

While some question the caliber of Jones' opponents, those on his "hit list" include a "Who's Who" of current and former world champions, including Eric Lucas, Reggie Johnson, Otis Grant, Lou del Valle, Virgil Hill, Montell Griffin, Mike McCallum, Vinny Pazienza, James "Lights Out" Toney, Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins, Jorge Castro and Jorge Vaca.

Jones' secret to his success defies his own description. "Roy Jones don't play that 'You hit me and I'll hit you,'" he says in his familiar third-person explanation. "I hit you and you don't hit me back. I'll fight toe-to-toe, to the death if I have to, but only if I have to. So far I've never had to."

On his lightning fast hands, Jones says, "I've got bad hands. There's a lot of times where I get a guy in a pretty good situation and I've got to chill out. My hands will be hurting me worse when I hit them than it hurt them. I could knock out a lot of them, but then my hands would be broke up so bad, I wouldn't be able to fight no more. That's why I stopped doing that. When I need to, I will, but until I need to, I'm not. Why should I mess up my guns and then get in a big fight and not have any bullets left?"

Jones was robbed of the gold medal at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea on a judging scandal. America's best bet to win a gold medal at 156 pounds, Jones thrashed the competition in reaching the final, climactic bout against Korean Si-hun Park. Despite a dominating performance he was incredibly denied the gold medal on a 3-2 vote. It's been called the most disgraceful and outrageous judging blunder in Olympic Games history. Jones was presented the Val Barker Cup as the Olympics' Most Outstanding Boxer, but it was small consolation for Jones, who so badly wanted to win for his country.

Bursting onto the pro scene on May 6, 1989, Jones ran roughshod through his initial opponents, including impressive victories over former World Boxing Council (WBC) world champion Jorge Vaca and Jorge Castro, who went on to claim the WBA middleweight crown.

With an injured and useless right hand, Jones outclassed and showed up Bernard Hopkins over 12 rounds to claim the vacant IBF Middleweight Championship in his first landmark fight on May 22, 1993.

A blurring left hook kayoed top contender Thomas Tate in the second round of his first middleweight defense on May 27, 1994, before Jones' signature fight came against favored, unbeaten super middleweight champion James Toney on November 19, 1994.

In a sensational display, Jones tormented Toney with a dominating performance that featured a taunting move by Jones that Toney tried to mimic, only to have the challenger land a solid blow that sent the champion reeling against the ropes in the third round. Jones got credit for a knockdown and went on to sweep all three judges scores to claim another title.

Jones steamrolled a number of the other notable opponents, including a resounding triumph over Vinny Pazienza when he was literally untouched by the whirring "Pazmanian Devil" in one round before the one-sided bout was stopped in the sixth.

In an unusual test of Jones' athletic ability and endurance, he couldn't let his United States Basketball League Jacksonville Barracuda teammates down on June 15, 1996, playing 15 minutes in a game and scoring six points before taking on Canadian Eric Lucas a few hours later. On a day that drew widespread media attention, Jones finally subdued the stubborn Lucas in the 11th round. Rolling his eyes after the fight against his gritty challenger, who would go on to become a world champion in his own right, Jones heaved a heavy sigh and said, "That's the last time I'll do that again. It's been a long day."

Stunningly and surprisingly Jones was victimized by a controversial late hit in a WBC light heavyweight defense against Montell Griffin on March 21, 1997, in Atlantic City. Leading on all three scorecards and already having floored Griffin twice, Jones was anxious to finish him and had him in trouble near the end of the ninth round. Two glancing shots to an exhausted, kneeling Griffin as the bell sounded disqualified Jones.

Jones' character and sense of fair play triggered the following response to his lawyer/advisor Fred Levin after the fight, "Get me the rematch. Do it now. I want it to be my next fight. Give him anything he wants. I don't care what it costs."

Revenge was swift and devastating when Jones regained his WBC belt with a first round thrashing of Griffin, decking him twice before mercifully ending it at the 2:31 mark and demonstrating that the lone loss that would forever appear on Roy's record would be nothing but a fluke.

In 1999, Jones reached his goal of unifying the light heavyweight division for the first time in 14 years by throttling IBF champion Reggie Johnson in a unanimous decision. Triumphant defenses came against a series of top contenders over the last three years.

On February 2, 2002, in Miami, he overmatched Australian Glen Kelly putting his gloves behind his back and bobbing his head back and forth to avoid Kelly's punches before he cracked the challenger with a roundhouse right that ended the fight in the seventh round.

Before a sellout crowd at the Rose Garden in Portland, OR on September 7, Jones dazzled the 16,229 patrons with a flashy music-thumping entrance and then rocked No.1 WBC contender Clinton Woods of England over six punishing rounds. Woods' corner tossed in the towel following a series of brutal blows to the body and face that left the overmatched Woods defenseless.

In 2003, with destiny awaiting, Roy decided to move up to heavyweight instead of fighting light heavyweight mandatory challenger Antonio Tarver. He wanted to show the world he was truly the best pound-for-pound boxer of our time.

On March 1, 2003, Roy Jones, Jr. would make history with a 12-round unanimous decision over John Ruiz. Displaying quickness and smarts, Jones would win decisively on each of the judges' scorecards: 118-110, 117-111 and 116-112. He became just the second light heavyweight champion since Michael Spinks in 1985 and just the second former middleweight champion since Bob Fitzsimmons in 1897 to capture a share of the heavyweight title.

After the fight Jones said, "I don't really feel I'm a heavyweight. I did this for history...This means that I am the baddest. Only Ali can shock the world like I did."

Profile - boxrec.com
Sex: Male
Nationality: United States
Hometown: Pensacola, FL
Birthplace: Pensacola, FL
Division: Light Heavyweight
World Rank: 1
Date of Birth: 1969-01-16
Reach: 74"
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5' 11
Trainer: Alton Merkerson
Manager: Self

Roy Jones Jr. Career Record

49 Wins, 3 Losses, 38 Knockouts
- boxing.about.com

May 6 -- Ricky Randall, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
June 11 -- Stephan Johnson, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 8
Sep. 3 -- Ron Amundsen, Pensacola, Florida, KO 7
Nov. 30 -- Dave McCluskey, Pensacola, Florida, KO 3

Jan. 8 -- Joe Edens, Mobile, Alabama, KO 2
Feb. 28 -- Billy Mitchum, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2
Mar. 28 -- Knox Brown, Pensacola, Florida, KO 3
May 11 -- Ron Johnson, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
July 14 -- Tony Waddles, Pensacola, Florida, KO 1
Sep. 25 -- Rollin Williams, Pensacola, Florida, KO 4
Nov. 8 -- Reggie Miller, Pensacola, Florida, KO 5

Jan. 31 -- Ricky Stackhouse, Pensacola, Florida, KO 1
Apr. 13 -- Eddie Evans, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 3
Aug. 3 -- Kevin Daigle, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2
Aug. 31 -- Lester Yarbrough, Pensacola, Florida, KO 8

Jan. 10 -- Jorge Vaca, New York City, KO 1
Apr. 3 -- Art Serwano, Reno, Nevada, KO 1
June 30 -- Jorge Castro, Pensacola, Florida, W 10
Aug. 18 -- Glenn Thomas, Pensacola, Florida, KO 8
Dec. 5 -- Percy Harris, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 4

Feb. 13 -- Glenn Wolfe, Las Vegas, Nevada, KO 1
May 22 -- Bernard Hopkins, Washington D.C, W 12
(Captured IBF middleweight title)
Aug. 14 -- Thulane Malinga, St. Louis Bay, Mississippi, KO 6
Nov. 30 -- Fermin Chirino, Pensacola, Florida, W 10

Mar. 22 -- Daniel Garcia, Pensacola, Florida, KO 6
May 27 -- Thomas Tate, Las Vegas, Nevada, KO 2
(Retained IBF middleweight title)
Nov. 18 -- James Toney, Las Vegas, Nevada, W 12
(Captured IBF super middleweight title)

Mar. 18 -- Antoine Byrd, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 1
(Retained IBF super middleweight title)
June 24 -- Vinny Pazienza, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 6
Sep. 30 -- Tony Thornton, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2

Jan. 12 -- Merqui Sosa, New York City, TKO 2
June 15 -- Eric Lucas, Jacksonville, Florida, KO 11
Oct. 4 -- Bryant Brannon, New York City, KO 2
Nov. 22 -- Mike McCallum, Tampa, Florida, W 12
(Won interim WBC light heavyweight title)

Mar. 21 -- Montell Griffin, Atlantic City, New Jersey, L DQ 9
(Lost WBC light heavyweight title)
Aug. 21 -- Montell Griffin, Ledyard, Connecticut, KO 1
(Regained WBC light heavyweight title)

Apr. 25 -- Virgil Hill, Biloxi,Mississippi, KO 4
July 18 -- Lou Del Valle, New York, W 12
(Unified WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)
Nov. 14 -- Otis Grant, Mashantucket, Connecticut, TKO 10
(Retained WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)

Jan. 9 -- Rick Frazier, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
(Retained WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)
June 5 -- Reggie Johnson, Biloxi, Mississippi, W 12
(Unifies WBA-WBC-IBF light heavyweight titles)

Jan. 15 -- David Telesco, New York City, W 12
(Retained unified light heavyweight title)
May 13 -- Richard Hall, Indianapolis, Indiana, TKO 11
Sept. 9 -- Eric Harding, New Orleans, Louisiana, TKO 10

Feb. 24 -- Derrick Harmon, Tampa, Florida, TKO 10
July 28 -- Julio Gonzalez, Los Angeles, California, W 12

Feb. 2 -- Glenn Kelly, Miami, Florida, TKO 7
Sept. 7 -- Clinton Woods, Portland, Oregon, TKO 6

March 1 -- John Ruiz, Las Vegas, Nevada, W 12
(Captured WBA heavyweight title)
Nov. 8 -- Antonio Tarver, Las Vegas, Nevada, W 12
(Captured WBC light heavyweight title)

May 15 -- Antonio Tarver, Las Vegas, Nevada, L KO 2
(Lost WBC Light Heavyweight Title)
Sept. 25 -- Glen Johnson, Memphis, TN, L KO 9

Career Highlights:
1988 Junior Middleweight Olympic Silver Medalist
former WBC Continental Americas Super Middleweight Champion
former IBF World Middleweight Champion
former IBF World Super Middleweight Champion
former 3 time WBC World Light-Heavyweight Champion
former WBA World Light-Heavyweight Champion
former IBF World Light-Heavyweight Champion
former IBO Light-Heavyweight Champion
former NBA Light-Heavyweight Champion
former WBF Light-Heavyweight Champion
former IBA Light-Heavyweight Champion
former WBA World Heavyweight Champion

[Edited on 27-9-2004 by Ocelot]

TRD

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Has his title of the best pound for pound finally been taken away?

Although his record speaks for itself and the way he won titles at different weights, but he got a hiding off Tarver and now Johnson knocked him out.

The Johnson fight was a farce, he hits like a powder puff, the knockout punch didn't land clean, it was more like a slap and my granny could hit harder. Most of the punches Johnson landed were not clean punches and he had no weight behind them and Jones didn't seem to be bothered by them at all.

So did Jones take a fall?

When he was lying on the canvas he looked like he was doing some real bad acting to me.

or

Has he just had enough?

Some say its time for him to retire, he is getting hit more than he is used to and its time for him to hang up the gloves. He is rich, but boxing champions rarely think objectively about their careers. Jones knows his record stands comparison to those of the greatest fighters in history and may want to sign off with a success that underlines his ability.

[Edited on 27/9/04 by TRD]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thought he had lost the pound for pound best fighter ages ago

new topics

join