It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: NCAA Tournament

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
In a upset in the first round thats all us watchers need to say "Let the Madness being."The little team from the Big Apple was every bit as good as promised.

Led by 26 points from hotshot guard Luis Flores, 12th-seeded Manhattan defeated fifth-seeded Florida 75-60 in the first round of the NCAA tournament Thursday -- an "upset" that really wasn't much of an upset at all.

"I know America's going to look at it as an upset, but behind closed doors we don't," Manhattan forward Dave Holmes said. "We know we can play with any team on any night."

Barely beaten in the first round last year by eventual champion Syracuse, Manhattan (25-5) won its first tournament game since defeating Oklahoma in 1995. The Jaspers advanced to play Wake Forest, a 79-78 winner over Virginia Commonwealth, in the second round of the East Rutherford Regional.

Manhattan's domination started with Flores.

Creating, shooting and scoring from everywhere on the floor, the generously listed 6-foot senior showed why he's the nation's third-leading scorer.

With the Jaspers ahead 38-35 early in the second half, he sandwiched two 3-pointers around a sweet, pull-up 16-footer to push the lead to double digits. The first 3 came right after a timeout, on a defensive breakdown by Florida that left Flores wide open.

"I don't know how something like that can happen," Donovan said.

Florida tried to get back in it, but when Matt Walsh got called for an intentional foul -- a questionable call on a hard shot on Mike Konovelchick in which Walsh actually blocked the layup attempt -- the Jaspers started an 11-4 run to put the game away. It was capped by Flores' beautiful spin move on the baseline that left him open for a 15-foot jumper he made.

Flores was hardly Manhattan's only star. Peter Mulligan finished with 17 points and Holmes had 12 points and 12 rebounds. That pair of undersized forwards easily dominated the inside matchup Florida thought it could win.

Florida's best inside player, David Lee, was barely a factor with seven points. The Gators tried to work inside to 6-9 Adrian Moss, but he went 2-for-8.

The picture of Florida's futility was best told during Flores' hot streak early in the second half: Walsh shot an airball on an open 3-pointer, Moss shot an airball from the post and on Florida's next possession, Moss got called for a charge after driving his shoulder into the defender.

Walsh finished with 13 points for the Gators. Anthony Roberson led them with 22 points, but most came after the game was out of reach and Donovan's team was guaranteed of falling to 2-4 in the tournament over the last four seasons.

Ben

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Other results from the first day thus far:

Maryland over Utep 86-83

W. Forest over Va Common 79-78

Defending Champs Syracuse over BYU 80-75

Stanford over Texas-SA 71-45

Texas Tech over Charlotte 76-73

Alabama over Souther Illions 65-64

Saint Joes over liberty 82-63

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This has to be the worst NCAA Tournament ever!

All the teams I was rooting for went down this week. North Carolina was the toughest for me to take since they're my favorite team. But I was also rooting for Stanford since I live on the West Coast and they lost in the 2nd round again.

And all the teams I wanted to win just because I think they have the best chance to eliminate Duke (and Stanford's one of them because they played Duke the 2 years before this one and beat them twice) all lost.

Kentucky went down today and that stunk because I think they can beat Duke. Arizona lost and I thought they could've given Duke a better game than Seton Hall did. UConn's probably my last hope to take Duke down.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Uconn-Duke. I'm rooting for UConn but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke wins this game today because of a few things.

Invariably, when you're talking about this Tournament, usually the eventual National Champion has at least one close game to prove they can came through the most ultimate pressure and Duke's had 2 close games and UConn's had none.

And also another thing that favors Duke is free throw shooting. UConn's horrible from the line. In a close game, Duke could pull through because of that.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well UConn beat Duke by one point, I wanted Duke to win the tournament, but since they are out I'm rooting for UConn. Let's see what Emeka can do!

new topics

top topics

join