It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Iverson: 'I'm not playing if I'm not starting'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Comming off missing 3 games, Allen Iverson was going to be slowly brought back to game shape. But Iverson did not feel that way. After being told that he would not start, Iverson decided not to play. 76er's coach Ford did not want to throw his star and leading scorer to the dogs. He wanted to be sure he was healthy.

www.foxsports.com
Allen Iverson said he was ready to play in Sunday's 85-69 loss to the Detroit Pistons but changed his mind after 76ers coach Chris Ford told him he'd come off the bench.

"I'm a starter. I've been a starter here for eight years. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson said after the game. "I'm a starter. I know in this league ... if someone comes back from an injury, if he's a starter he starts. What's the difference? If you're going to cut my time down, cut my time down. It doesn't make any difference. I'm a starter."

Comments:

If Iverson would just step back and look at the situation, he should understand that the coach is doing what is best for the team. The coach wants Iverson to be around come playoff time. If Allen reinjures that knee because he came back too soon, he won't be around for the playoffs. Taking it slowly is the best thing to do. But I guess with the attitude of some of the players, maybe you should just let them go out and hurt themselves, possibly ending their career. I believe Ford was doing the right thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I had been slowly rebuilding my respect for him since after his press conference in which he questioned the importance of practice.

That respect is gone again.

Ben

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Iverson is a gret player he just needs to listen to his coach once and a while

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
between iverson and terrel owens philly could soon become the whine capital of the world,

Ben

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
its true, but iverson just needs a kick in the ass, he is spolied

top topics

join