It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Baker a knick

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Former All-Star Vin Baker signed Friday with the New York Knicks for the rest of the season, a day after winning his arbitration case against the NBA. Knicks president Isiah Thomas announced the signing at the team's shootaround before its game against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Baker will be added to the active roster immediately, and coach Lenny Wilkens will decide if Baker plays against the Sixers, Thomas said.

"I'm taking this opportunity as my last chance to come out and not only play basketball, but as a person, I don't want to make the same mistakes," Baker said. "I'm going to try my hardest from day to day not to make the same mistakes that I've made in the past."

Baker was shooting more than 50 percent for the Boston Celtics before he was suspended -- and subsequently had his contract terminated -- for violating terms of his alcohol treatment program.

As a result of winning his case against the league, Baker was free to sign with the team of his choice. No details about Baker's contract were announced. In Baker's grievance against the NBA, argued Monday, arbitrator Roger Kaplan invalidated a league memo barring all 29 teams from signing Baker until his grievance against the Celtics is settled.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
WOW...the knicks must be really hurting to take a chance on this guy

join