It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Hawks suffer shocking collapse vs. Xavier

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Saint Joseph's first game as the nation's No. 1 team also was its first loss of the season, a shocking 87-67 collapse against unranked Xavier in the Atlantic-10 quarterfinals Thursday.

The Hawks came in with a 27-0 record, three victories from becoming the first team since 1991 to enter the NCAA tournament undefeated. But they trailed Xavier by as many as 37 points, and the upset raises questions about how serious a contender the tiny Philadelphia school will be for the national championship.

The rout also tarnishes a magical run by a team that was one of the biggest surprises in sports this year, and it could cost Saint Joseph's a top seeding in the NCAAs.

"I'm assuming that the televisions wherever that committee is meeting didn't work," Hawks coach Phil Martelli said."This was our 20th game away from our own fieldhouse. We're 19-1 in those games. They (the committee) will understand that. The committee will do us right because of our body of work. Not 40 minutes."

It's the worst loss ever by a No. 1 team against an unranked team. A partisan crowd began rubbing it in midway through the second half, chanting "Sloppy Joe's

Saint Joseph's backcourt stars Jameer Nelson and Delonte West were held to a combined 11-for-35 shooting, and scored 16 points each. Xavier (21-10) made 71.1 percent of its shots, while holding Saint Joseph's to 35.4 percent -- its worst showing all season.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I was disappointed to see the Hawks go down today but I said a while back that if they were going to have a chance at the national championship that they would have to lose a game and get the letdown out of the way before the tourney, every team has at least one letdown and poor performance. That said, that still doesnt mean St Joe's has a great shot at the title although they are one of many teams with a better than average shot at cutting down the nets.

Go Hawks!

Ben

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
In my mind its going to be a lot harder for Saint Joe's to win the title because they showed agaisnt Xavier that they are a very weak team down low and now a lot of teams are going to look to take advantage of that.

new topics

join