It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Holyfield to Return to Ring With New Team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Associated Press - March 8, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) - Evander Holyfield will keep fighting, looking for a bout this summer with hopes of becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion again.

Holyfield, 41, said Monday he will return with a new management team, and he is still confident in his skills despite winning only two of his last eight fights.

"If I didn't believe I could get all three belts, I wouldn't fight," Holyfield said at a news conference.

No matchup has been set for Holyfield, who has been urged by many in boxing to retire. He said he would like to fight IBF champ Chris Byrd or WBA champ John Ruiz for the titles, and will not take on mediocre opponents.

"If I fight lesser opponents, I might as well do that in the gym," he said.

Holyfield was beaten badly in his last fight in October against James Toney, with his corner throwing in the towel. The ex-champion said his camp has faith in him and he needed to make changes.

"I don't want people in my corner second-guessing," Holyfield said.

He will now be handled by the Avondale Management Group, a three-man outfit with experience in marketing and entertainment but not boxing. The group contends Holyfield will be served well because he will not have to worry about business and can concentrate on boxing.

The group hopes to have Emanuel Steward as Holyfield's trainer and is trying to land a promoter. Holyfield manager Jim Thomas may be part of the new team.

Jim Gould, one of the partners, said Holyfield is "medically sound" and will work with any state boxing authorities that question his fitness.

Holyfield, 38-7-2 with 25 knockouts, said he was examined before and after the Toney fight. He said a rematch with Toney is not his primary concern.

"It's not about revenge," he said. "If I need to fight Toney to get in line for the title, I would do that."

TRD

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
To be honest i'm surprised he will continue to fight but he doesn't know anything else,he is a very wealthy man and i don't think its the money.

Ben

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
whats your take ocelot

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
whats your take ocelot

My take is that I think he's making a mistake. He's not the same Evander of 10 years ago. He is way past his prime and I would hate to see him jeopardize his health even further by continuing to fight. But if thats what he wants to do then he should do it. I dont see him becoming Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World, but stranger things have happened.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on who he fights,but i wouldn't hold out much luck on him winning a title again but as Ocelot said you never know stranger things have happened and all it takes is one good punch and it's lights out,these guy's are pretty big and can pack a real punch.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Despite fading talent and mounting questions about his health, Holyfield maintained this week that at the age of 41 he can wrest back the undisputed heavyweight crown just one more time.The evidence suggests otherwise. Holyfield has lost his last two fights, including the first stoppage loss of his career to former middleweight James Toney in October.

The problem is that with so few other attractions America will always be willing to encourage Holyfield to enter the realms of ageing freak show with a third match against Mike Tyson no doubt top of the agenda.

TRD

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It's farcical,Holyfield needs to quit,he may think he is still a big attraction but i have seen his fights and he has lost alot of the ability he had.

top topics

join