It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Leafs acquire Francis at dead-line

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Carolina captain Ron Francis waived his no-trade clause and was dealt to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday. The 41-year-old Francis, in his 23rd season, ranks fourth in NHL history in career points and second in assists.

The Hurricanes received the Maple Leafs' fourth-round draft pick in 2005. Francis said Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford began talking to him about waiving his no-trade clause Monday, and he told the team he was willing to consider a move Tuesday morning. By early afternoon, the deal was done.

"Certainly, they've got a good team and hopefully I can find a little niche to sort of help them out," Francis said. "I certainly know a lot about that organization and I'm looking forward to trying to help them."

In 68 games this season, Francis has 10 goals and 20 assists. In 1,719 career games, he has 546 goals and 1,242 assists.

Toronto is fourth in the Eastern Conference with 86 points. The Maple Leafs also recently acquired Brian Leetch from the New York Rangers, another franchise player, as they prepare a push for the Stanley Cup.

new topics

join