It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Red wings acquire Lang

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Lang, who shares the league lead in points, was acquired by the Red Wings from Washington on Friday in a deal that sent Tomas Fleischmann, a first-round draft pick this year and a fourth rounder in 2006 to the Capitals. The 33-year-old Lang is enjoying one of his finest seasons. He has 29 goals and 45 assists and is tied with Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis with 74 points.

"We felt it was a move we had to take and couldn't pass up," Detroit general manager Ken Holland said. "And it's at a price we could live with."

Detroit is the second-highest scoring team in the NHL and is tied with Philadelphia for the best record in the league heading into Friday's games. Lang's $5 million salary is reasonable, Holland said, especially with the player averaging a point per game.

"To have a guy locked in at $5 million a year made sense for us financially, made sense for us competitively," Holland said."This is no offense to anybody in Washington, but it's always great to go from team that doesn't really have a bright future to go to a team with bright horizons," Lang said.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Huge pickup for the Red Wings, this move just makes thim that much deeper. I think this signifigantly upgrades Detroit, after all he is tied for the NHL scoring lead, dont see those guys get traded that often. Washington will probably complete their salary dump and youth movement and also trade Olaf Kolzig and Sergei Gonchar. The NHL trade deadline is March 9, I was hoping the Flyers would deal for Kolzig but it looks like they've settled on Burke.

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
1, i still definalty dont get this move, you just dont trade all your scoring abillity to a team.

2. Does this make the Wings the best team in the leauge?

3. Who will get olaf kolzig?

4. Burke has been playing great as of late for the flyers.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I am still not sure about Burke. He was doing well in Pheonix, and he had the chance to make up with the fans in Philly, but he has not done a very good job of that.

The Red Wings are not that deep at center. Injuries mainly. Adding Lang does help though. Not sure which line you would put him on though. I don't think you want to break up the kids and old man line. They are working well together.

Ben

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
How has lang fit in Detriot?

new topics

top topics

join