It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Babe on performance enhancing drugs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In a newspaper interview, Kent wondered aloud whether some of the game's hallowed past stars -- such as Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth -- might have used performance-enhancing drugs. He said Friday he wasn't accusing anyone of anything, just merely noting that there's no way to know either way.

"People are so pinned on the era now versus the era then," Kent said. "How do we know about then? Do we really know about then? I think we're starting to understand and learn more facts about now, so everybody's trying to relate the records broken, the way ballplayers are bigger and badder and better than ever now, but how do we know about then?

The issue has loomed over baseball since 5-7 percent of the players anonymously tested last season had positive results. That triggered the start of testing with penalties this year. A first positive test would result in treatment and a second in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.

"I think that's wrong for the media to point fingers at one big-chested guy versus a skinny guy: `He did it, he didn't do it,'" Kent said."For people to sit back and say, 'I didn't do it,' well hell, there's about 10 percent of the players who are doing it, and that's a shame. There should be more integrity in this game, and integrity is that you don't cheat."

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
man the Babe smoked stogees on the field,
maybe that was his secret... good ol' Cubans
We shall never know, anyways there is no way these could have even thought up a drug that made them more likley to hit a homer. baseball players back then were men of talent, not men with a good gym a good agent and some steroids.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
i firmly believe that it was the vast quantities of booze consumed by the babe, one look at any old picture of him and you can see that he had a body by budweiser.....who is this kent guy quoted in the article? is it jeff kent?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
it was jeff kent who said those things, those guys must have too much time on their hands

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This certainly could be a possiblity but if he was on steroids, and i'm not saying he was, it was not against the rules. heck back then you could buy heroin over the counter for a headache. but that was like 100 years ago so who really cares?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
it's highly unlikely, they didn't have anything like that back then. babe was just fat from eating 5 hot dogs and 3 sodas every meal.

Ben

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Theres always a possibility, it now gives fans a different opinion on things with the events that are happening now which is bad, because the fans should know what the players are tkaing because they have the right to enjoy a fairly competitive game.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The person that wrote that article has lost all respect from me, he writes on ESPN.com. A competitive game, to me, is not a bunch of rich pillpoppers. I hope everybody caught will be taken down to the highest extent possible. I don't care who it is.

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I saw the article on ESPN and i thought that it should go up, did they even have these products back then, and im sure if they did they must have had their side effects becasue they werent as useful as they can be.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
i hope you werent reffering to the respect towards ben lol.

Who knows about the babe and what could you do now, i dont think anybody would be willing to actually step up and make formal complaints about this. Who is willing to mess with the babe?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
i hope you werent reffering to the respect towards ben lol.

of course not, he always knows what he's talking about.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What era did Babe play in,did they have steroids then?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well the thing is back then the fences where farther back so it was harder to hit home runs if I remember right.

Ben

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i didnt think that the fences were farther back? PLus the technology with the ball and the general persons strength have gone up since that era.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
according to this article steroids were invented by the germans in the 30's and they experimented with them on their soldiers. it wasn't till the 50's that it was discovered that they helped atheletes
www.steroidinformation.com...

Ben

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
so was it used back then?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
they were used in the 50's by russian and european atheletes

Ben

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
but were they used in the states?

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
not that i can find until the 60's, i will do some more research and see if i can find out more info

Ben

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
remind me when did babe play?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join