It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Yankees realse Boone

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Third baseman Aaron Boone was released Thursday by the New York Yankees, nearly six weeks after hurting his knee in a pickup basketball game. The injury, which could cause him to miss the entire season, set the stage for the Yankees to acquire Alex Rodriguez from Texas last week. Boone, an NL All-Star last season, becomes a free agent.

"It's a tough situation we're all in," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "You have to move on. We'd like to continue discussing the possibility of keeping him within the Yankees' fold in some form or fashion that would manifest itself with him maybe being a player for us next year."

Boone was hurt Jan. 16 and had surgery last week to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Adam Katz, Boone's agent, said recovery will take 5 to 9 months.

"Aaron is a quick healer, and he's a guy with a tireless work ethic," Katz said. "I'm sure he'll be on the short end of the recovery schedule."

"I'm just sorry that Boonie played basketball, a guy as good as he would go out there and take a chance playing basketball," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said.

[Edited on 2/26/2004 by Ben]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
yeah i can imagine how heart broken they are to "have" to release him since they talked A-Rod into playing 3rd base. they're just freeing up some cash to pay for A-Rod.

Ben

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
good point, but boone did play that part in the playoff's

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ya he did, I remember that HR he hit while Bret Boone guest announcing during the playoffs. He hit a walk-off home run to win some series.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i dont like this decision because he can always play 2nd base where they do need some help there, or what if one of the players get injuried they are definatly going to be kciking themsevles.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Who do you think will pick him up? He had a good season before he went to the Yankee's so he must be a pretty good player.

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Hes a top 3rd baseman in the league and can hit those big shots when need be. Tough to say right now he is still injuried.

TRD

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
How long will he still be out for?

It will be interesting to see who picks him up!

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
people have said that he is a fast healer and anywhere from 5 to 9 months.

TRD

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Oh right so he might not play in the comming season then,how old is he?

Ben

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
he can play its just going to be later on in the season, hes pretty young i do belive but im not sure how old exactly.

Sir

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
So by the looks of it it doesn't matter that the Yankees released him as he won't be playing much this season.

top topics

join