It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Portis for Bailey

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The Washington Redskins, desperate to add a running back who can make a major impact on new coach Joe Gibbs' run-oriented offense, are discussing a blockbuster trade with the Denver Broncos that would give them one of the NFL's premier young backs.

The proposed deal, which percolated at the league's annual draft combine sessions this weekend, would send Denver's Clinton Portis to the Redskins in exchange for four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and possibly one of their 2004 draft picks.

Trade talks were first reported by The Denver Post in Sunday's editions. Officials from both the Broncos and the Redskins, and agents for the two high-profile veterans, worked arduously during the weekend to bring the talks much closer to reality. One point of contention: In addition to Bailey, the Broncos are asking for Washington's second-round draft choice in April. At this point, at least, the Redskins are reluctant to part with the pick, but their hesitancy could change at any time.

"You definitely need to stay close on this one," said a source, who is intimately involved in the negotiations, late Sunday night. "There's a whole lot going on. There are a few sticking points but, if you asked me will it get done, I'd tell you, 'yeah, I think so.' "

Ben

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Portis is for the trade

Portis believes that his departuring from Denver is going to happen, its just a matter of time.

"It was enjoyable playing with the Broncos," Portis told radio station KKFN-AM in an interview Monday night. "If this is the end of my stay, I had a great time."

Portis said he considers himself the best running back in football -- he rushed for 1,591 yards last year despite missing three games with chest and ankle injuries -- and he'd like to be paid as such. Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. He made $300,000 last season.

The main reason as to why Portis will leave Denver is because of the old fashion dollar bill. Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. Displeased with the money he made last season, he has hinted he might be a holdout when training camp starts unless the Broncos rework his deal.

TRD

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The Redskins remain in contact with the Broncos. But director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato said Tuesday he also is talking to our other teams concerning Bailey, including one that contacted him Tuesday morning.

So its not a definate that they will trade for Portis!

Ben

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
One of the other main teams are the Jets who are willing to trade lamont jordan and john ellis. and a draft pick.

Ben

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Trade agreed in principle

The teams' discussions seem to have slowed over the last day or two, but Washington and Denver already have agreed in principle to terms. The Broncos would send running back Clinton Portis to Washington for Bailey, and the Redskins inexplicably would include in the deal a second-round pick in this year's draft. The sides must still reach contract agreements with the players involved.

Because there remains some small degree of uncertainty to a swap, agent Jack Reale has continued to discuss contract parameters with other teams interested in acquiring Bailey. The New York Jets are one of those teams. They have floated a number of proposals to Redskins officials, some of which have included veteran players only, others in which they have offered their first-round choice in April's draft. The Jets have denied an ESPN.com report that defensive end Shaun Eillis was part of the trade talks

TRD

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So if they did trade for Portis,would this be a good trade for them? I thought they laced in that department last season but they would be losing a great defensive player.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Who's more important, a great running back or a shutdown corner? Champ Bailey weighs in with his opinion (biased as you might think) -

www.sportsline.com...

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
No way....If Baileys ego got any bigger!

Portis will be the one that could turn it around and win a game not Bailey.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
2 words.

Priest Holmes.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
In this situation, yeah. But overall, I'd agree with Bailey, you don't find nearly as many shut-down type corners as really good running backs. And corners do last longer. I still think the 'skins gave up too much for Portis, even though i'm glad to have him. I just think it should have been an even up player for player trade.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Good DB's are hard to find. If I was Denver I'd be doing tapdances right now. They are a better team now.

top topics

join