It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Wild win in a wild night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Standing 10th in the Western Conference, the Minnesota Wild are desperate for wins and points. On Thursday night, they finally played like it. Marc Chouinard scored two goals to lead an offensive outburst as the Wild routed the Vancouver Canucks 6-2.

Marian Gaborik, Andrew Brunette and Antti Laaksonen each had a goal and an assist, and Alex Henry had the first goal of his NHL career for the Wild, who got 26 saves from Dwayne Roloson. Laaksonen scored on a penalty shot in the first period.

"Probably the most intense game this hockey team has played," Wild coach Jacques Lemaire said.

The Canucks outshot the Wild 28-22, but Minnesota had the better scoring chances. The Wild scored three times in both the first and second periods against the Canucks, who have lost four of five games.

Vancouver goaltender Dan Cloutier, coming off a shutout at Colorado, gave up four goals on 10 shots before being replaced by Johan Hedberg in the second period. Todd Bertuzzi and Mattias Ohlund scored for the Canucks, who are without the injured Markus Naslund.

[Edited on 2/20/2004 by Ben]

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The goal Henry scored was setup by a great play by Gaborik. Gabby circled around behind the net and hit Henry between the circles who got a one-timer wrist shot off. Then Henry celebrated like he was a 50 goal scorer. It was great to see.

The Gaborik goal was unbelieveable. A defender drapped on him, he somehow snuck the puck, far post, past the netminder. I still don't know how it made it in the net.

Great game by the Wild. They looked like they were ready to play, never let up, and were by far the better team.

Ben

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
they playing better for you crayon?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Last 2 games they did play well. Unfortunately I was at work during the Vancouver game. Maybe I should listen on the radio more often, they seem to play better..... nah.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I think I saw that play on sportscenter. That was pretty cool. I don't like their coach though, they could do without him.

Ben

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Lets hope and see if the wild can continue this great play, hopefully they can and will.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The Wild have a huge game tomorrow night against Colorado, its being televised on ESPN.

Ben

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
how will they far agaisnt them?

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshter
I think I saw that play on sportscenter. That was pretty cool. I don't like their coach though, they could do without him.

You don't care for Lemaire? Well I think you would be one of the few. Lemaire is the perfect coach for a young team. The Wild may not win a Cup anytime soon, but they will have the confidence that they need to win one.

Wild just got done shelacking the Canucks. Though Johnson got hit with a 5 game suspension and Cooke for Vancouver got hit with a 2 gamer. I can't go into detail, since I was listening on the radio, but I don't think Cooke got enough. He speared Johnson. Double minor for roughing. And then only 2 games? That is all I am going to say about that.

As far as Colorado. Yes, its a big game. Colorado has struggled in its last 10, going 3-3-2-2 and giving up the #1 spot in the West to the surging Red Wings. It all depends on whom the goalie is for the Avs tonight. If its Aebischer, the Wild have a chance. But for some reason they don't play well against Sauve. Or its just that Sauve plays out of his mind.

But all in all, if the Wild play like they did against Vancouver, there is no team that can beat them.

Ben

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
is their discpline level going up?

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
is their discpline level going up?

Lemaire is known as a disciplanarian, thats why I was a bit surprised to hear that the Wild were taking alot of unnecessary penalties. They are a young team and you'll have those mistakes regardless of who is behind the bench.

I'm looking forward to the Wild-Avs game this evening. I wonder if Peter Forsberg will play, his froin is flaring up again. I hope he does, he's exciting to watch. Marian Gaborik has really started to heat up for the Wild.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

I'm looking forward to the Wild-Avs game this evening. I wonder if Peter Forsberg will play, his froin is flaring up again. I hope he does, he's exciting to watch. Marian Gaborik has really started to heat up for the Wild.

I am going to watch that game too and i also hope Forsberg plays. It will probably be Aebischer in net but you never know. Sauve hasn't fared too well in his last few starts but some guys just play better against certain teams like crayon mentioned Sauve plays the Wild tough. I'm sure Avs coach Tony Granato is aware of this though.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
10 minutes left in the game, the Avs lead 3-1 after goals by Kariya, Sakic, and Hejduk. They got those 3 goals on only 12 shots.

The Wild need to start taking some chances and try and get back in this game.

Ben

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I take it that they lost that game?

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yup, they did not play that badly. Once again plauged by not shooting enough, and when they do shoot, not good shots.

Hejduk goal was nasty. Sakic goal should not have gone in. Karia goal was a deflection.

top topics

join