It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: ARod a Yankee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
NEW YORK -It's a done deal:

Alex Rodriguez is a Yankee. Commissioner Bud Selig approved the record-setting swap Monday, allowing the reigning American League MVP to be traded to New York by the Texas Rangers.
Rodriguez, 28, will join the Yankees in exchange for second baseman Alfonso Soriano and another unnamed player.

Texas will pay $67m (£35.5m) of the $179m (£95m) left on the American League MVP's $252m, 10-year contract.

It is the largest cash sum involved in a major league trade, and baseball commissioner Bud Selig said he did not want it to set a precedent.The Yankees are the richest team in American sport and the acquisition will push their already astronomical payroll to about $190m.

A New York native, Rodriguez hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI for the last-place Rangers.He will move from shortstop, a position at which he has been a seven-time All-Star, to third base, where he will replace the injured Aaron Boone.The Yankees will keep captain Derek Jeter at shortstop.

Texas will end up paying $140m for three seasons with Rodriguez. The Yankees will owe him $112m for seven years. Under the deal, the Yankees pay Rodriguez $15m in each of the next three seasons, $16m each in 2007 and 2008, $17m in 2009 and $18m in 2010, according to the AP news agency.

Origin of story Yahoo Sports.

[Edited on 16/2/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Does this make baseball between two teams now, the red sox's and the yankees?

TRD

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I would say this puts the Yankees in front,they have a great team now.

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They have an all-star lineup its amazing how they got all these star players on just one team with a huge and i mean huge playroll. The total team payroll is 190 million, and then a 20 millino tax for the owner as well. He is really dealing out the money.

The Yankees have decent pitching, these ptichers will do enough to win games in the playoffs. Because just look at all the runs that they are bound to be scoring.

TRD

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Who actually owns the Yankees? He can't be paying out that much himself the revenue the club makes must be alot!

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Who actually owns the Yankees? He can't be paying out that much himself the revenue the club makes must be alot!

George owns 'em. A-Rod a yank!!!!!

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
George Steinburner or aka the "Boss" He has all the money he wants. He is willing to deal the big bucks to buy a winning team.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Baseball in the Twin Cities is going to suck this year. First off, I hate it how its always the Yankees this, the Yankees that. BAH!

Secondly, the owner of the Twins is only showing Twins games on his new sports channel, Victory sports. But none of the local cable operators picked it up since he was asking too much money for it. So no Twins B-Ball.

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Its yankees this cause look at the player they just got. If the twins or some other team got him it would be this and that for that team.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The Yankees dont even bring guys up through their system anymore, they just buy them when they're all-stars.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a sad day for baseball....competitive baseball as we have known it has come to an end

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
a sad day for baseball....competitive baseball as we have known it has come to an end

ok, well then I'm not the only one that feels this way

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yes this is not great news,i suppose if you are a Yankees fan it is but as you guy's said its not good when you can just buy all the best players,we have the same over in England a russian billionaire bought one of the soccer teams and can just buy who he likes and pay them what he likes.A latest rumour is that he will pay a player £240,000 a week,in dollars its hrmm nearly $400,000 to come and play for them.

Ben

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If your team had the money wouldnt they want to buy a baseball player, especially the MVP of the league? I bet any team in the leauge would buy players if they had the money. Look at what the Red Sox's did in the off-season.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
TOEJAM'S RANT.....
as a lifelong baseball fan i am angry....i am angry at the win at ANY cost direction this great sport has taken, i am probably older than most on this board so i can remember when going to a ball game was an affordable way for a father to spend a great evening with the family, some of my fondest memories of growing up are of watching games at red wing stadium with my dad. these are times that will never be forgotten.now for my wife and myself to go to safeco field and get decent seats it is a $150.00 night, instead of seeing a dozen games a year we see 1 or 2.
how long will it take for baseball to kill the golden calf? the gap between the haves' and have nots gets wider every year, why would anyone in detroit or cincinnatti pay to see the home team get clobbered every night expcept for love of the game? it is a viscious cycle, uncompetitive team=declining fan base=lower tv ratings=less money=less competitive team.
pete rozelle once said....on any given sunday any team can win, this is one of the things that has made the nfl so popular, ANY team can win any week, this is what keeps the fans coming back, week after week...this is the philosophy that baseball needs to adopt before any more damage is done,
hope that this rambling post makes some sense, as i said....I AM ANGRY

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well said toejam, well said.

What would you think of a salary cap in baseball? I mean I think the NFL has seen much more parity since they instituted their cap and there have been some awesome games the past few years, even the Super Bowls have been close. How can a team like the Montreal Expos or the Milwaukee Brewers even survive when they cant afford to put a competitive team on the field? They cant afford it, hence they lose, then no one comes to see them, then they have less money and have to sell that one last superstar they have left to the Yankees. Like toejam said, it's a vicious cycle.

I wish we, the fans would go on strike to get these ticket prices and salaries back to earth, it's beyond ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a salary cap would be a start, an impartial commisioner, not one of the owners would be another, one who would base his decisions on 'the good of the game', mandatory no bs drug testing,for the players union to fight drug testing because of privacy concerns is from another planet, to get my job i have to pee in the cup, why not a ballplayer making millions a year? after all, when buying a ticket can't we all expect to see the players giving their best effort every day? don't they owe us that? arter all, these are men who are paid well to play a game that they have played for free since they were children, just a few thoughts.....in my humble opinion......

Ben

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Without the Salary cap is what makes baseball specail. Its not really hurting in the loseing money area. Hockey is going to install the salary cap because hockey is going to lose money every year.

Teams have to find a balance with their team. And the yankees can afford to buy these top players because they have the money necessary. They have a big tv contract, and they sell out almost every game of the season, because the fans know that if they goto the games they are going to see their team win, and that is what they want. If other teams can find their balance maybe they can win more money and more games and such.

The Yankees are still going to make money this year they are going to have 200 million to play to the players and then 10-15 million in taxes to OTHER CLUBS. The yankees are paying money to other clubs because the yankees are making so much money. And on top of the the yankees will still have a postivie income. They are going to make around 300 millino dollars.

in my mind adding a salary cap in baseball is just bad.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
sorry ben, you are wrong on this one...first of all, baseball is a sport, not a show, one team winning all the time is not what people want to see, what they want to see is the competition between 2 teams of major league caliber, that is what they pay good money for, if people wanted to see one team will all the time they should go see the Harlem Globetrotters, look at the parity the salary cap has brought to the nfl, that is the type of competition that people want, if the packers went 16-0 every year fans would soon tire of that too. the yankees may make money this year but all the teams can't play in new york...the field has to be leveled so that each game is a game. these are the latest financials that i could find, they are a couple of years old but do not paint a rosy picture for baseball, like all figures these are subject to interpretation.
espn.go.com...

Ben

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I take it that you arnt a fan of the yankees. As every New Yorker we love the yankees and we enjoy watching and seeing the yankees win these games. But at the same time i see where you are comign from, and teh closest competitor is the Red Sox, and their new line-up, why isnt anybody basnhing them they have all-starts on their team.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join