It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Mexicans deny U.S. Olympic hopes again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
First it was the US Baseball team. Now its the US Soccer team. The under 23 squad will miss the Athens Olympics. And will miss the Olympics for the first time since 1980. The US team was beaten by a better and more motivated Mexico team. The fans were very anti-American, booing during the Star Spangled Banner and at one points chanting "Osama!". Both the baseball team and the soccer team were knocked out by Mexico.

News Source: Associated Press
GUADALAJARA, Mexico - The boos nearly drowned out “The Star-Spangled Banner,” and a few dozen fans chanted “Osama! Osama!” as the United States was eliminated by Mexico in Olympic men’s soccer qualifying.

A loud anti-American crowd hollered as Mexico beat the United States 4-0 Tuesday night in the under-23 tournament, claiming a berth in the Athens Olympics.

Comments:
I would just like to state sarcastically: Classy.

I believe you should at least respect your neighbors. Not sure what the Mexico fans did was the best.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
what do you mean AGIAN???
the U.S. team beat them out last year!!!

TRD

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I believe you should at least respect your neighbors. Not sure what the Mexico fans did was the best.

I'm guessing you havn't been to a Soccer or Football as we call it in the UK match before.

Thats nothing you should hear some of the stuff thats shouted out and the abuse the supporters give each other aswell as the players,but then again thats just part of it.!

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A few months ago the Mexico Baseball team beat the US Baseball team to prevent the US from going to the Athens Olympics.

It was a reference to Mexico beating the US in general. Not just one sport. Sorry if that was confusing.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I'm guessing you havn't been to a Soccer or Football as we call it in the UK match before.

Thats nothing you should hear some of the stuff thats shouted out and the abuse the supporters give each other aswell as the players,but then again thats just part of it.!

Yeah, forgot about how that happens in league games. I don't know, I just don't think it belongs in international competition. Booing the players, and screaming profanities at them, thats fine. But there would be an uproar if the game was in the US and the US fans booed the Mexico national anthem and chanted 'illegal aliens' at them. Or something like that.

TRD

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Yes i agree,over here its a regular occurance at matches.

Take a look at the England v Turkey game not too long ago now that was just as bad and even the players were at it aswell on the pitch, threats were made by players to players.

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The atmosphere in football and soccer games in the U.K must be different. But isnt there, or should i say should there be a line drawn about waht you should yell at opposing players?

TRD

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well it all adds to the atmosphere of a soccer match,it fires the players up more when the crowd is behind them or against them,as i have said before i have been to hundreds of soccer/footy matches and the language would make a nun blush.lol

Thing is aswell how are you going to moderate and keep in line 40,000 screaming fans.!

Ben

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Good point, but like in the football games in the states, there is some harsh language used but at the fans when they are in the opposing areana, but the fans know there is a guidline to be drawn. such as not saying anything rash or harsh, kindof like the Bin Landen comment.

Sir

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
English fans don't know what the line is.When you think about it there is no line,anything goes.

Everyone gets it from the Players,Supporters,Linesmen,Referee and especially the club and managers!

It's called football culture it goes with the sport..

Ben

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
so the players and coaches use that language and such also?

TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
so the players and coaches use that language and such also?

Yes they do...

When the games are on TV you can see the players swearing and screaming at each other.The managers run up and down the touchline sreaming out all kinds of crap lol!

You think the brits are all cup of tea and prim and proper but guess what your wrong..

They spit on each other,elbows and all dirty tricks aswell as verbally abuse each other,same goes for the fans.The fans love their teams so much that people have killed,murdered rival supporters.

Even in a International game i forgot which team,it may have been columbia or someone.They played a match and lost,one of the players scored a own goal,when they flew home someone shot the player dead.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Im from the states so i might look at things like that differently but like, killing isnt that going a bit far

TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
Im from the states so i might look at things like that differently but like, killing isnt that going a bit far

I'm sorry but that is such a dumb question to ask,of course killing is going to far but i'm just telling ya how it is.

[Edited on 12/2/04 by TRD]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The way the fans, coaches, players, etc... treat the others is a big distinction between US/Canadian based sports and some sports around the world.

Its all the mentality. I still think on the international stage there needs to be some sort of respect. Politics often get involved with international competitions, and treating your opponent like dirt does not help.

Ben

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I agree with crayon, i think there has to be a limit sure its a whole different atmosphere but somethings you should keep your mouth shut about.

TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Crayon your right some sports.

Its seems here in the UK its mainly domestic sports,not so much on the International scene.

Ben

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
why do they feel they have to take it to that next level. I feel that it is totally different if your a player but your a fan in the stands. And to say that stuff is out of line.

TRD

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I agree with crayon, i think there has to be a limit sure its a whole different atmosphere but somethings you should keep your mouth shut about.

I'm sorry but how are you going to limit 60,000 screaming fans??

Assign 1 police officer or marshall to EVERY supporter??

Get real it just doesn't happen,as i said before in Soccer/Football it is part of the game always has been always will be.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You can look at this from a different angle. I am guessing that the hostile fans that let everyone know, were raised loving their team and hating the other teams and their fans.

Same thing when you look at racism. People are not born to hate other races. People are taught to hate other races. You take a child and have them grow up with a child from every race on the planet and you will have no racism. You take a child, have them grow up with other kids of their race, and tell them that races other than yours are inferior, or you are supposed to hate them, you now have a very racist kid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join