It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Lewis Retires Without Fulfilling Promise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
www.boxinginsider.com...
Associated Press - February 9, 2004

The heavyweight champion of the world retired, and the world responded with a big yawn. Don't blame boxing, a sport that has enough problems as it is. Blame Lennox Lewis, who wanted fans to embrace him but never gave them a chance.

At a London hotel on Friday, Lewis bid the sport goodbye, turning down a lucrative rematch with Vitali Klitschko to become the first heavyweight champion in nearly a half-century to retire for good while still holding the title.

He brought along a pair of Violets - one his fiance, the other his mother - and spoke like a man relieved to be finally unburdened by the price of fame.

"I just wanted to keep my life private as much as I possibly could," Lewis said.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I cant remeber did he fight Tyson??? actually i think he did i bet with my friend that Lewis would kick Tysons behind and i was right.

TRD

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I would have like to have seen him fight once,maybe twice more..It's a shame that he retired but why not go out top dog!

Ben

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
did he promsie to fight Vitali Klitschko?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
did he promsie to fight Vitali Klitschko?

No don't think he did,he fought him once and beat him.

I think he made a good choice in retiring,look at the likes of Tyson and Holyfield they should have got out when they could.

Sir

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Lewis should have had one more fight and beat Klitshko again then he would have gone out a true GREAT! Leaving this way with questions unanswered it will hang over him forever.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yea he should have, i think that is what every fan wants, but LEwis stated that he wont be able to give 110% that measn no fight.

new topics

top topics

join