It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Track worker struck by race car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Tragedy at Daytona. A track worker cleaning up debris on the track was hit in the 2nd corner. Compact cars were racing in the IPOWERacing 150. The race was stopped for 2 hours, but no further word on the condition of the worker.

News Source Associated Press

This is a terrible accident. I am awaiting to see if the worker survived. The way it sounds the worker did not. I hope that is not the case. Racing is a dangerous sport, for all involved.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

TRD

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
That is a terrible accident and it doesn't sound to good for him.

We were hitting on safety in motorsports in this thread..www.sportztawk.com...

I know this is a thing that needs serious attention in all areas to avoid these sort of accidents.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
this is indeed a terrible accident, i am sure there will be a full investigaton as to how this happened, hopefully answers will be found to prevent events like this in the future

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Sigh, some sad and unfortunate news. The track worker that was struck by the car during the compact race was killed in the accident.

The link on the first post has the updated information. It saddens me that accidents like this happen.

The worker was struck by a car that was attempting to catch up to the end of the line during a full track caution. In all forms of superspeedway and short track racing drivers go faster during a caution to catch up to the rest of the pack. It is very unfortunate that this has happened. And I have a fear that the driver is going to be blamed by a lot of people, since he was handicaped.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
what!? i dont get how this happened, why was the worker even on the track?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
During a caution to an accident, the worker noticed debris in the 2nd corner. He was doing his job, he went out on the track to remove the debris. A driver that was trailing the pack was speeding around the track to catch up, and did not see the worker in the middle of the track.

TRD

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hrmm that is sad that someone lost there life,things do have to be thought about again what they are going to improve in safety.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the track worker had 7 years experiance and was a supervisor, i know that on road courses most of the corner marshals are volunteers, does anyone know if nascar uses the same?

Ben

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
why would they volunteer for such a dangerous job?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
to be part of the action, if driving a race car isn't for you but you still want to be a part of a big event, it's a way to contribute, it is amazing how many volunteers there are at racetracks, it is something that i would do if i had a track closer

Ben

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
is there that big of a risk? Well there is i guess cause of the fact that the guy did die from that.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think racing these days, at least in Nascar, is safer for the driver than it is for the spectators and trackside assistants.

I can always remember Bill Elliott taking down the grand stand fence as his car was sailing through the air.

There is danger. But the love of it is greater than the threat of serious injury.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
You would be amazed at the volenteer's that work there, just to be close.

NASCAR groupies with jobs during the week.

The guy that hit the track worker was paraplegic, and usually NASCAR instructs drivers coming out of a pit during yellow, to catch up so they can bunch the field up for the restart.

A tragedy yes, but we are tawking a 3000 lb bullet that the driver can only coerce in the direction it is going.

If he had seen him, there probubly was little that could have prevented it from happenning anyway.

Occupational hazards.

join