It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Flyers fixing goalie woes with Burke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Flyers, having serious netminder problems took a huge step by acquiring goalie Sean Burke from Pheonix. The deal is expected to be announced after the NHL All-Star game that is being played right now. More information to come.

News Source ESPN.com news
The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired goalie Sean Burke from the Phoenix Coyotes, ESPN's John Buccigross has learned.

The deal is expected to be announced after Sunday's NHL All-Star Game.

Comments:
This is huge for Philly. When their normal goalies are healthy again it could be an issue, but for the next 3 weeks at least its huge. This should help Philly on their push to the playoffs.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
burke is a good goalie and phenoix doesnt need him becuase of their other goalie (cnat member his name) but he did post 5 consecutive shutouts.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I heard this about an hour ago, it's not official yet but it's likely.

I'm not real excited about it, we "rented" Burke a few years ago for the playoff run and I wasn't impressed. I thought the Flyers had their sights set on Olaf Kolzig or Nikolai Khabibulin, both of whom I'd prefer over Burke.

I'm curious to see who we are giving up to get Burke, I hope nobody too good, hopefully one of our banged up goalies, Hackett or Esche. Esche backed up Burke in Phoenix for years and became best friends, that makes me think Hackett would go. I'm still mad about the Flyers giving up Justin Williams although Danny Markov has played well, I was a big JWill fan.

I dont think Burke is the answer.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
burke is a good goalie and phenoix doesnt need him becuase of their other goalie (cnat member his name) but he did post 5 consecutive shutouts.

That would be ex-Flyer Brian Boucher, not to be confused with Bobby Boucher of "Waterboy" fame.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
lol, could Burke help out the flyers?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
lol, could Burke help out the flyers?

Yeah, he'll help. We dont need help, we need someone ready to take a team loaded with talent on his back to the Stanley Cup.

Hackett has vertigo and hasnt been very good this year even when he was healthy. Esche has been decent, not bad but not spectacular either, I think he's one of the best backup goalies in the NHL, but he's just that, a backup. Antero Nittymaki played well in his 2 games filling in for the injured goalies but they played 2 non-playoff teams and he's way too young to go into the playoff homestretch with 2 games experience in the NHL.

I hope Burke has something left in his tank and he proves me totally wrong. I would love to see him get hot and make a nice run for the Cup. In the NHL playoffs it's not always the best goalie that wins, it's usually the hot goalie. Look how bad Giguere has struggled this year but he got hot last year at the right time and he was almost unstoppable.

Here is a good pic of when Burke was with us the first time, standing next to Flyers legend Ron Hextall and a young Johnny LeClair in the foreground.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
any goalie is only as good as his defense, how are the flyers on the blueline?

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Luck has a lot to do with hotness as well, if you are able to get some lucky posts shot that bounce outwards that is pretty lucky. Burke can help he is used to the starting role, and the pressure of being a starter agaiasnt top team. Could be interesting to see how well he will play in Phili, there's going to be a lot of persure on him to perform very well.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
any goalie is only as good as his defense, how are the flyers on the blueline?

They have a pretty good defense unit although a couple are out with injuries right now, nothing serious, be back in a couple weeks.

Eric Desjardins
Marcus Ragnarsson
Kim Johnsson
Eric Weinrich
Chris Therien
Joni Pitkanen (rookie phenom)
Danny Markov
Mattias Timander

Even the forwards are playing extremely well defensively, it all goes back to coach Ken Hitchcock who preaches defense first at all times.

Our forwards look like an All-Star roster.

Jeremy Roenick
Tony Amonte
John LeClair
Mark Recchi
Keith Primeau
Simon Gagne
Sami Kapanen
Michael Handzus
Mike Comrie
Donald Brashear
Todd Fedoruk
Radovan Somik
Patrick Sharp

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Looks like the deal did not go through today. It was going to be Mike Comrie? Did not expect that one.

No trade Sunday but Coyotes may deal Burke to Flyers this week

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CP) - A report Sunday that the Phoenix Coyotes had traded veteran goalie Sean Burke to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for centre Mike Comrie was premature but sources indicate a deal could happen as soon as Monday.

Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett denied Sunday that the Coyotes had already Burke to Philadelphia.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
so this deal isnt happening now?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Not Mike Comrie!!!

WTF are you doing Bobby Clarke?

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
is Mike Comrie a good player?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
is Mike Comrie a good player?

I think he is, he was hurt for a good while last season but he scored 33 goals for the Oilers the year before. He is a quick, nimble, playmaker and he's very young unlike Sean Burke.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Apparently the Rangers Glen Sather is also interested in Burke.

President, coach and general manager Glen Sather told The New York Times Feb. 6 that he's been in discussions with Coyotes GM Mike Barnett and managing partner Wayne Gretzky about acquiring 37-year-old goaltender Sean Burke. But the Flyers are also in the mix and said to be the leading potential destination. "Anything could happen," Sather said in the newspaper. "There's lots of conversations going on." The report indicated that Phoenix wants prospects and draft picks. Phoenix expects to get something completed by the end of the All-Star break Feb. 9. Sather indicated that he might want to be a seller rather than buyer to get younger. "It's difficult without trading your young people," Sather added. "That's always a calculated risk. You try to help the organization now without hurting it down the road."

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
which team is more liekly to get Burke. Do the rangers really need him?

TRD

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

Originally posted by Ben

That would be ex-Flyer Brian Boucher, not to be confused with Bobby Boucher of "Waterboy" fame.

Lawrence Taylor: Which brings me to my second point, kids. Don't do crack.

Paco: I am not what you would call a handsome man. God did not choose to bless with me with good looks, charm, or a fully functional brain. .

Bobby Boucher: Now that's what I call high quality H2O.

Bobby Boucher: My Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Bobby Boucher: I like college and I like football and I'm gonna keep doin' 'em both cause they make me happy! [Slams door, then comes back.] And you're wrong, Mama! Alligators are ornery because of their medulla oblongata! [Slams door, then comes back.] And I like Vickie Vallencourt and she showed me her boobies and I like them too!

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
which team is more liekly to get Burke. Do the rangers really need him?

I dont think the Rangers are real happy with Mike Dunham, he's been nagged by injuries and his backups are just too young. Whatever happened to Danny Blackburn?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
After getting shelled in last years Young Stars game, Blackburn has been nonexistant.

Rangers don't need a goalie. They need defense.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Dunham is a really good goalie and could be a lot better with defense, why would they even want to think about Burke get some good defensive players and then go from there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join