It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: New labor deal, lack of scoring, the showdown begins.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
As the NHL All-Star weekend begins its final day, there is a cloud of uncertainty over next season. The current CBA ends in September, and the players are not planning on budging from their stance. The owners are not planning on budging from their stance. What does all this get? The possible non-existance of the NHL in a years time. With scoring down even from last year, and attendence issues in some of the arenas, the players and owners are arguing over cash, which neither will get if there is not an NHL season next year.

News Source Associated Press
No doubt Bettman worries the diminished scoring is translating into far too many 2-1 and 1-0 games and a less fan- and TV-friendly product. Attendance is down among a third of the league's 30 teams, and ratings on ESPN (0.5) and ESPN2 (0.2) remain by far the lowest of any of the major pro sports.

"I believe the balance between offense and defense needs to be adjusted," Bettman said Saturday. "My only view is that more offense can and will enhance this game."

The conciliatory tone invoked by some players during last year's All-Star weekend has vanished, replaced by a more militant stance. The way some NHL All-Stars are talking, they're as likely to agree to a salary cap as the owners are to sell $5 tickets in luxury suites.

"We're ready to battle if there has to be a battle, and that's something we've talked about among ourselves," Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom said. "We've taken a strong stance since we started to talk about the upcoming collective bargaining talks. Players are willing to wait to get a good deal for everyone. I don't think any player is selfish and wants to think about himself."

Calgary right wing Jarome Iginla suggested bringing back the tag-up rule, which allows players trapped inside the opponents' blue line to clear the zone without offside being called. Iginla also said having shootouts after an overtime period might be fun.

Comments:
I have ideas on both what the CBA and changes to increase scoring opportunities should look like. We can ignore my CBA thoughts, I do not know enough about it to make any rash comments. But I would like to see a salary cap, and the players to pull their heads out of their butts.

As far as the game itself. Defense is a huge part of the game. Most teams play some form of the neutral zone trap (don't hear much of that this year do you?). The Devils and the Wild fall into the full trap when in the lead late in a game. The Red Wings always seem to be playing the left wing lock. And numerous other teams that play some form of the trap, no matter what they call it.

Here is what you do. Leave all the lines where they are. Put in the tag-up rule. Remove the 2-line offside pass. Keep the extra ref, you are going to need someone at the other end of the ice, just waiting.

I don't think you can put 1 in without the other. If you just have the tag-up rule, there will be 5 opposing players between your blue line and the red line. That is tough to break out of. If you have tag-up and allow 2-line passes, now you force the opposing defensemen to have to drop to their own blue line, makes the breakout a little easier.

If you allow 2-line passes, but don't have the tag-up rule, players will purposfully go offside to prevent a long pass breakaway by the other team, further slowing down the game.

Oh, and if one of your players is hooking and grabbing one of my players? Hope you can handle my enforcer. Let the players play. They know what is happening out on the ice, and they will take care of it. The ref's don't seem to see the same things as the players or the fans.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The salary cap is a great start, they should take it one season at a time with the changes. Players in the league are making far too much money, and some teams have too many players who are very high paid. They should make the salary cap so that the owners can actually make some kindof money.

Also the shutout idea is a great way to bring some energy and exitcment back to the over-time aspect of the game.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
it has been a while since i have followed hockey so i am not all that familiar with todays problems. What has shocked me are the ticket prices that i have seen on the team web sites, like other major league sports they are pricing themselves out of the average fans price range, it is hard to keep interested if you can't afford to take the family to a game, as for the lack of scoring i would rather see a 3-2 game ove an 8-3 game any day

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I agree with the ticket prices and the players have to realize that there are only 18,000 fans at a game (rough guess). That can only bring in a certain amount of money. You can't fit 20,000 fans in an 18,000 seat arena. Just doesn't happen.

Give me 40 shots a game, per team, and a final of 3-2. Now that would be exciting. I don't think the goals are the important part, its the opportunities that need to be focused on. Give me the greatest goalies in the world, and put them in a shooting gallery. Great saves make up for lack of goals, and you get way more of those than goals.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
what non hockey fans don't stop to think about is that a 3-2 hockey game would be a 21-14 football game, at the low end but not by that much

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
that is a very good point, but with football there are still the big hits that are fun to watch. Lately its just been all about the stick handling skills, and not so much big bone crushing hits.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I love what ESPN had as the #1 reason why they like hockey:

1. Goals
The best part about scoring in hockey is that no two goals look alike. Daniel Alfredsson undressing some poor defenseman, then using him as a screen to beat the goalie high glove, looks nothing like Brett Hull firing a one-timer past some sorry goalie's ear -- even though they're scored from the same spot on the ice. From the slot, from the point, from a bad angle, from the back door, with a slap shot, a wrist shot, a back-hander and a one-timer to the glove side, on the short side, through the five hole, top shelf -- each one an original.

I saw the play that Alfredsson made. OH MY!

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
if no goal is a like, are there no a like saves

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ooo, great assertion. And watching the different goalie styles when saves are made. The difference between a Hasek dive and spin with a little flailing. Versus a Patrick Roy, patience, look, the 5 hole is available, oops, juts took it away from you.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The NHL might be done for a while after this season?

top topics

join