It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Lewis Calls News Conference; Reportedly Set to Announce Retirement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
boxinginsider.com...
Associated Press - February 5, 2004
By ROBERT MILLWARD AP Sports Writer

LONDON (AP) - Looks like Lennox Lewis is ready to do what no heavyweight champion has done in nearly half a century: leave boxing for good with a championship belt around his waist.

The 38-year-old Lewis will hold a news conference Friday amid reports he will retire rather than risk his World Boxing Council title in a rematch against Vitali Klitschko.

Secretive to the end, Lewis was keeping his decision to himself. His trainer, Emanuel Steward, did not return calls. But Lewis has made no effort to meet a March 1 deadline set by the WBC to set up a fight with Klitschko, and the consensus among the boxing fraternity is that he will retire.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
He did retire i didnt like it one bit, but he says that he cant give 110% so maybe its a good thing.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
He did retire i didnt like it one bit, but he says that he cant give 110% so maybe its a good thing.

Well you can't blame the guy for not wanting to take any more beatings. I mean he's 38 years old for god's sake. Im just happy he finally made a decision and now a NEW Heavyweight Champion of the World can be crowned.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i would like to see him fight more, look at all the young guns out there, it would be good fun to fight those guys. I would think he would like the competition of the fight.

How will they decide who gets the belts/

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
How will they decide who gets the belts/

Well Lewis only holds the WBC and IBO Versions of the Heavyweight Title. The titles will now be declared vacant since Lewis retired. So they will probably have the 2 top ranked fighters of each sanctioning body fight for the vacant title. And a new champion will be crowned.

Ben

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
who are the two top people?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
who are the two top people?

The 2 top ranked heavyweights by the WBC are Vitali Klitschko and Corrie Sanders. So it will probably be the 2 of them fighting it out for the WBC Heavyweight Title. As for the linear championsip we'll have to wait until all 3 belts (WBC-WBA-IBF) are unified once again. Which is not likely to happen anytime soon. It will probably be a while until we have an Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World again.

join