It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Richter in the rafters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Mike Richter, the greatest American born goalie to ever play in the NHL, was enshrined in the Madison Square Garden rafters Wednesday night. The Rangers retired #35 to honour a player that had only donned the Rangers sweater. Mike Richter was forced into retirement by a series of concussions, but not before he was able to lead NY to win Lord Stanley in 1994. The Rangers were without a Stanley Cup title for 54 years.

News Source Associated Press
"I can tell you that any sense of loss has been replaced by the feeling of gratitude and joy," Richter said. "I'm leaving with the realization that the time spent here has been nothing short of an amazing gift."

He stood with his wife and two children in the goal crease next to a table on which his famous Statue of Liberty mask rested. The banner rose at the end of the 45-minute ceremony from the top of the net to its place next to the pennant commemorating the 1994 championship.

It was always fun to watch Richter play hockey. And it sucked when the Wild had to play against him. They showed highlights of his first start against the Penguins. To claim a stake in the league he beat the Pens and made some incredible saves. Including one on Super Mario that left me with my jaw gaping open.

Here's to hockey. Here's to Richter. Here's to the greatest American born goalie to have ever worn an NHL jersey.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Great player, its sad that another player had to retire due to concussions.

new topics

join