It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Modano, Stars feel better about All-Star picks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The questions always come up about whether this player or that player should be in an all star game. Modano and the Stars were struggling up till recently. But as the playoffs loom closer, Dallas has decided to start winning some hockey games. The Stars are unbeaten in their last seven and Modano is healthy. During their little run, Dallas have moved up 5 spots in the Western Conferance standings.

News Source Associated Press
DALLAS -- Mike Modano was out with an injury and not deserving when he was named a starter for the NHL All-Star game.

And the struggling Dallas Stars certainly didn't warrant having three All-Star starters. They were in the bottom half of the Western Conference standings already with as many losses as the previous season.

Nearly a month later, the Stars are on a seven-game unbeaten streak. And a healthy Modano is feeling a lot better about joining teammates Bill Guerin and Marty Turco for the All-Star game Sunday in Minnesota.

I was wondering myself why Modano was being picked. I can see Guerin and Turco, but Modano? When he was selected he was even out with an injury.

Then it hit me. Modano played with the Northstars and more than likely the Minnesota fans voted him in so they could cheer for him like they once did.

But now that he is no longer injured and is playing full time again, he is starting to look more like the all star that he was picked to be. I will be cheering for you, but only on TV.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Modano is a class act i like this guy, glad hes in the all star

Say who are the starters and who is playing in it?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Western Conference
Forwards
* Todd Bertuzzi (Vancouver Canucks)
* Mike Modano (Dallas Stars)
* Bill Guerin (Dallas Stars)
Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes)
Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit Red Wings)
Markus Naslund (Vancouver Canucks)
Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames)
Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks)
Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Keith Tkachuk (St. Louis Blues)
Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche)
Alex Tanguay (Colorado Avalanche)

Defenseman
* Rob Blake (Colorado Avalanche)
* Nicklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red Wings)
Kimmo Timonen (Nashville Predators)
Chris Pronger (St. Louis Blues)
Mattias Norstrom (Los Angeles Kings)
Filip Kuba (Minnesota Wild)

Goaltenders
* Marty Turco (Dallas Stars)
Dwayne Roloson (Minnesota Wild)
Tomas Vokoun (Nashville Predators)

Eastern Conference
Forwards
* Martin St. Louis (Tampa Bay Lightning)
* Joe Thornton (Boston Bruins)
* Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta Thrashers)
Robert Lang (Washington Capitals)
Mats Sundin (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Marian Hossa (Ottawa Senators)
Jaromir Jagr (Washington Capitals)
Mark Messier (New York Rangers)
Daniel Alfredsson (Ottawa Senators)
Jeremy Roenick (Philadelphia Flyers)
Keith Primeau (Philadelphia Flyers)
Gary Roberts (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Defenseman
*+ Scott Stevens (New Jersey Devils)
* Scott Niedermayer (New Jersey Devils)
Sheldon Souray (Montreal Canadiens)
Adrian Aucoin (New York Islanders)
Nick Boynton (Boston Bruins)
Wade Redden (Ottawa Senators)
Brian Rafalski (New Jersey Devils)

Goaltenders
* Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils)
Roberto Luongo (Florida Panthers)
Jose Theodore (Montreal Canadiens)

* Denotes Starter as voted by the fans
+ Injured and will not play.

Looks like it could be a fun game.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Great stats crayon, do you think that there is anybody on the list taht shouldnt be there?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The skaters first, the west. I think Mathieu Schneider from Detroit should be there instead of Kuba. Schneider is 2nd in points for defensemen.

Also I think Marek Zidlicky from Nashville should be there instead of Norstrom. Just based on stats, even though Zidlicky is a -11 and Norstrom is a +4 on the season.

In the east I would have said Sergei Gonchar instead of Niedermayer, but it doesn't matter now, since Sergei is injured.

Definately should have had Mark Recchi instead of Roberts, Recchi is having a great year.

Messier got in just on name recognition. But his numbers are just not that great. That is a toss up.

On to the goalies.

Dan Cloutier from Vancouver got the cold shoulder. He has 22 wins and a 2.21 GAA.

David Aebischer from Colorado also did not get the nod. 23 wins and a 2.06 GAA.

In place of Roberto Luongo should have been Ed Belfour, 23 wins and a 2.20 GAA.

Shrug, just my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The players that I think are absolutely deserving of being an All-Star are (no particular order):

Pavel Datsyuk
Rick Nash
Rob Blake
Chris Pronger
Marty Turco
Ilya Kovalchuk
Marian Hossa
Martin St. Louis
Robert Lang
Martin Brodeur
Sheldon Souray
Wade Redden

Forgot someone that got snubbed. Andrew Raycroft, netminder for the Bruins. He has 18 wins and a 1.89 GAA. Though if Belfour was picked instead of Luongo, the top 3 goalies in wins from the east would be playing.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Those players are deserving to be in the game, a lot of players play their hearts out every game, and this is a great cahnce for them to get recongized.

One of my favorite parts of the All-Star game is the Superskills challenge

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Did anybody happen to watch the super-skills competition?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
yea i did i really enjoyed the break-away relay that was some good stuff, and that movie Martain St.Loui pulled, he made the goalie look bad.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Super Skills is always fun. I enjoyed watching the Young Stars game though. It gives the kids a chance to make it to an all-star weekend. Which brings me to Andrew Raycroft, he didn't get snubbed, he was the goalie for the East in the Young Stars game. He got used, but he was having fun.

And yes, St. Louis used Roloson like a rented mule.

I did notice something with the breakaway relay though. The percentage of goals that were scored when the shooter made a deke was much higher than the percentage of goals score when the shooter just let a wrist shot go.

I think in a skills competition the goalie is expecting the deke and waiting for you to move side to side. When the shooter doesn't the goalie is still in position. In a game situation I think the goalie has to be thinking shot, especially if the shooter has a defenseman hanging on them.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The eas won the super-skills comp, but are they going to win the game?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Its whomever is the more relaxed. I think the 3rd period will be the best. I think Roloson and Luongo will be in net, and they were the 2 best goalies in the skills competition.

I am putting my money on the West. And for Nash to have a trick!

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Any big hits going to be had?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Not sure if there will be any big hits, unless its late in the 3rd and the game is tied.

But Roenick will start the checking. He always does.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Also you cant forget about Keith Primeu who is playing in the all-star game, he is just plain old a hitters hitter. He will start checking also. I would like to see hits other tahn jsut fancy stick work all day long

new topics

top topics

join