It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Superbowl Final Result

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
New England Patriots claimed the Super Bowl following a hard-fought 32-29 victory over Carolina Panthers in Reliant Stadium with Adam Vinatieri kicking a last-gasp field goal.Following a scoreless first quarter, the longest a final has gone without a team scoring,it erupted with both sides exploding on offence with Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme showing the form that go their respective clubs into the finale.

Defence dominated the game early on with Carolina punting on their first three drives, while The Patriots' inability to score on their opening drive was their first in their last six attempts.
The AFC champions should have taken a 3-0 lead, however Adam Vinatieri surprisingly missed a 31-yard field goal attempt pulling his effort just wide with a chip shot.The 2001 Super Bowl game-winner then missed his second kick of the game in the second quarter when Shane Burton got a hand on his low attempt and blocked his 36-yard effort.

Despite missing good touchdown scoring opportunities, Tom Brady and company were not to be denied against the Panthers, who had done nothing on offence in the first quarter.

Tom Brady threw three TD passes and Adam Vinatieri booted the winning field goal with just four seconds remaining as New England beat Carolina 32-29 in a thrilling Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston.

Vinateri missed two first-half field goals but it was a case of third time lucky as he connected from 41 yards out to clinch a second world championship in three seasons for the Pats.
Defeat was hard on Carolina, for whom quarteback Jake Delhomme overcame a terrible start to throw for 323 yards and three touchdowns.

Most experts expected a low-scoring affair between two teams with great defenses, and it was still scoreless with just over three minutes remaining in the first half.Vinatieri's two missed field goals had been the only real opportunities. But then the game exploded with 24 points before intermission.

First Brady hit Deion Branch from five yards out.The Panthers, who had done nothing on offence in the first quarter, responded immediately when Delhomme replied with a 39-yarder to Steve Smith.

Defence had now gone out the window as Brady came right back with another five-yarder to David Givens.There was still time for Carolina to pull a field goal back when Stephen Davis' made a 21-yard run which allowed John Kasay to kick a 50-yarder keeping the NFC winners in touching distance and take it 14-10 at the half.

The third quarter, like the first, was scoreless but the fourth was another explosion with 37 points.New England looked to have taken control for good when Antowain Smith went in from two yards out to make it 21-10, but DeShaun Foster , who destroyed St Louis Rams, in their divisional play-offs clash, replied by breaking the tackles and running into the end zone from 33-yards out to bring Carolina back to within 21-16.

Then Delhomme hit Muhsin Muhammad wide open with a picture-perfect pass for an 85-yard score and Carolina led 22-21.Back came Brady and the Pats with a great drive capped by a one-yard scoring pass to outside linebacker Mike Vrabel of all people.

Kevin Faulk's two-point conversion made it 29-22 New England, but Carolina still weren't beaten.Delhomme brought them back once more, hitting Ricky Proehl with a 12-yard scoring pass to cap a gutsy 80-yard drive and tie it up at 29-29.

Kasay's resulting kickoff however crucially went out of bounds, giving Brady the ball at the New England 40 with three timeouts and 68 seconds remaining.And he took six plays to drive his team 37 yards down inside the Carolina 25 to set up Vinatieri.He put his early misses behind him to boot home the winning field goal for the second time in three years. His last-gasp effort had beaten St Louis in February 2002.

Brady completed 32 of 48 passes for 354 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, to be voted the game's MVP -also for the second time in three seasons.

Ben

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
i was on the edge of my seat through the whole game. Great job by both teams. This superbowl will go down as one of the greats. And it was 50 times better than last years.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yeah, it was a great game. I was way off in my prediction though. Who would have thought to great defensive teams would give up a total of 61 points? I just hope someone took the over.

Ben

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
was brady the right choice for MVP?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
GREAT GAME, LOUSY HALFTIME, i was suprised at the amount of offense, pun intended, yes brady deserved the mvp, great stats, better under pressure, i think both teams will be back in the super bowl real soon

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i was on the edge of my seat through the whole game. Great job by both teams. This superbowl will go down as one of the greats. And it was 50 times better than last years.

Make that 50,000. Come to think of it, I can't even remember who won it last year :yawn: Oh yah, duh the bucs, 48-21

Ben

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
anybody see the halftime show?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
i watched some of it, i missed the big finale, nelly was all bad enough, i thought they would have been better off to let willie nelson and that other guy sing at the half and i don't even like country music

Ben

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
yea, did poeple see janets thing with the boob?

I think they tried to make the show to flashy it down right sucked in my mind

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i heard that she actually planned having that. I can see why with her new album coming out, and not having heard of her much for a while.

On another note it was a great game enjoyed watching it, would have like to see Panthers win, i had a change of though who was going ot win during the game. I jsut loved how the panthers played. THey played with so much heart.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
lets get back to the game here lol

Who was surpirsed by the performance of the panthers?

new topics

top topics

join