It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: NHL panel to look for answers to concussions and eye injuries at meeting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As NHL players get bigger and tougher, and the ice staying the same size, the game becomes more physical. Players are taking every advantage they have to hit or tie up their opponents. With such close proximity of the players, injuries are common. More often than not, serious injuries result instead of minor aches and pains.

News Source Canadian Press
(CP) - While Eric Lindros' career-threatening concussion has renewed the debate on head injuries in the NHL, the number of concussions around the league may fall this year, the chairman of the league's injury analysis panel said Friday.
A number of steps have been taken to reduce head injuries since the panel was formed three years ago and the panel continues to look for new ways to make the sport safer, he added.

The panel, which includes players, officials, equipment and arena managers and others, is to meet during the weekend of the Feb. 8 all-star game in St. Paul, Minn.

I agree that something has to be done, but I do not think just upgrading equipment will be the solution. Making better equipment just allows the players to play tougher. Serious injury will still occur. If there is a 50/50 chance that I am going to get hurt when checking someone into the boards, I am going to back off a little. But if there is only a minimal chance that I will get hurt, I am going to hit my opponent as hard as I can.

Open up the ice, get rid of the 2 line offside pass. Consider going to olympic sized ice. Something needs to be done, just hope they pick the right thing.

[Edited on 30/1/04 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would like to see a bigger rink, i know if there was a 50/50 chance of checking somebody i would back off, and i think that is why the game is starting to die down, there isnt enough big hits and fights that keep the fans interested.

Lately its been all about the stick handling skills and the big saves, dont get me wrong those are great to watch but once in a while we need those big hits.

OPEN THE ICE UP.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The bigger rink would be ideal. But that is the most unlikely. If you widen the rink, you lose seats. You lose seats, you lose money. And that is the key.

I think a good start would be to get rid of the 2 line offside pass. It would spread out the defense and you would get a whole lot more end to end action. Plus, it negates the neutral zone trap.

Ben

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That would help out big time, and there could be more action that way with breakawyas and odd man rushes.

What about getting rid of icing?

top topics

join