It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Super Bowl XXXVIII

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The road to Super Bowl XXXVIII is nearing as the The New England Patriots veteran squad are gunning for a second Super Bowl triumph in three seasons when they take on the Carolina Panthers in Houston.It should prove to be a great match-up as Carolina Panthers not only embrace their role as underdogs, they think it could give them an edge in the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots.

Coach Bill Belichick, who established a reputation as one of the top defensive minds in the game under Bill Parcells at the New York Giants, can equal his former mentor in NFL titles if his side can prevail.He has yet to lose a play-off game since taking over the Pats in 2000.But just take a look at the Carolina Panthers, who won just once two years ago now they have made it to this season's Super Bowl in Houston where they will face the New England Patriots.In his second year, coach John Fox has created a no-frills, hard-hitting team who twice beat the defending champions Tampa Bay and also swept past Dallas, St Louis and Philadelphia to reach the big game.The Panthers may have the same name as the club that finished 1-15 two years ago, but they're a different bunch.

While Carolina has won six straight, including three in the playoffs,the last two on the road against NFC favorites St. Louis and Philadelphia,there is no debate the Patriots should be favored. They have won 14 in a row, only the second time in NFL history a team has done that.The Patriots are more experienced in these surroundings, of course. And their resilience, work ethic and brilliant game plans have created a sort of inevitability about the Patriots� results since September, when they last were beaten.

Players to watch out for in the Superbowl Final.

Jake Delhomme

Until this season, Delhomme was only a household name in his own household, but the former New Orleans back-up has been doing his best to change that.His contribution tends to be overlooked amid the plaudits for his team's defence, especially as their ground-based attack means Delhomme doesn't look downfield too often.

Stephen Davis

Confirmation that Davis will be fit to play in the Super Bowl after an injury scare is good news indeed for the Panthers.The Carolina offence revolves around the man who has rushed for a career-best 1,444 yards this season.Despite being slowed by a torn left quadriceps, the 29-year-old has managed 266 yards and a touchdown in three play-off games.

Ricky Manning Jr

Manning stole the show in Carolina's shock 14-3 win over Philadelphia in the NFC Championship game in more ways than one. He helped the Panthers seal their surprise Super Bowl berth by intercepting Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb three times in 10 minutes.

Rodney Harrison

Harrison has played a major part in executing coach Bill Belichick's renowned defensive strategies this season.The 31-year-old has made 125 tackles,including 94 solo efforts,nailing three sacks, two forced fumbles and three interceptions.His attempts to halt the progress of Stephen Davis are expected to be one of the highlights of Sunday's big game.

Troy Brown

Brown has had just 40 receptions this season, his lowest total since becoming a starter for the New England in 2000.But if quarterback Tom Brady manages to unlock Carolina's tough defence on Sunday,it could well be Brown who turns the key.

[Edited on 27/1/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
lets take a look at the offense's and defensvie stats for the Carolina Panthers

Offesive stats
ypg- 321.3
rushing- 130
passing 190
points per game- 20

Delhome- comp- 266
att- 466
yards 3219
TD- 19
INT- 16

RB- Stephen Davis- att- 318 yards 1444 TD 8
Deshaun Foster-att-113 yards 429 TD-

WR- Steven Smith- Rec- 88 yards 1110- TD- 7
Mushin Muhammad rec-54- yards 837 TR-3

Defensive STats

yards allowed 295 a game
rushing a game 107
passing a game 187
points a game 19

Ben

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Patriots Stats

Offensive
314 yards per game
100 rushing per game
214 passing per game
21 points per game

QB- Tom Brady- comp-317-att 527- yards 3620 TD-23 INT- 12

RB- Antowain Smith att-182- yards- 642 TD- 3
Kevin Faulk att- 178-yards 638 TD O

WR- Deion Branch- Rec- 57 yards 803 TD- 3
David Givens 34 Rec- yards 510 TD- 6

Defensive
291 yards allowed per game
89 rushing per game
202 passing per game
14 poins per game

TRD

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Good stats Ben..

If anyone wants to see what it looks like on the news site click this link..

www.sportznewz.com...

Ben

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Shall we get the predictions under way?

TRD

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yep go for it!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i tlooks like it will be a close game on paper but i don't think it will on the field. Brady will beat the Carolina pass rush with quick short passes and the pats defense will stuff the panthers rushing game........New England 24
Carolina 10

Ben

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
its going to be closer than that 14-10 Panthers

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
its going to be 17-14 with Vinatarri hitting the game winning field goal again to help the pats win there 2 super bowl.

Its going to be all about the rushing games, and how well each QB can set up on 3rd down and help there team by being the leader.

TRD

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm not going to go all out and predict the score but i'm going for a Panthers win.

Ben

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
its going to come down to the o-line's and the d-line's

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Pats are just to solid on both sides of the ball, and with there coach there is now way the panthers can beat the pats.

Ben

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
who is better up front?

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
i think that the panthers have the better d-line and the o-line because of there rushing ability. And there d-line has made opposing QB's dead in the water, with all the pressure they put on them.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm not really expecting a real high scoring game maybe a Pats win 24-10

Ben

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
im thinking that the majority of people want the pats to win

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
im thinking that the majority of people want the pats to win

I would say that aswell,but then people always jump on the bandwagon and go for the favourites even if they don't support them.

I said maybe Pats will win,i'm not to sure,if the Panthers get their rushing game underway and the wide recievers come into play alot it could be close.

For the Panthers to improve like they have over the last two seasons they have EVERY chance to win and really deserve to be there in the final.

Ben

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yea good points Speedfreak. Everybody jumps on certain bandwagons, especially with baseball hats and stuff.

Panthers came along way and i think they will win, they are going to pound that ball like old school football.

Ben

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Only a day left to the superbowl, any more predictions or ideas about the game?

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think the Pats are the better team but that's why they play the games, I'm pulling for a Carolina Panther upset.....

.....I'll say 23-20 Pantha's

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join