It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: N Carolina upsets top-ranked Huskies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

North Carolina's Rashad McCants hit a 3-pointer with 6.2 seconds remaining to lift his 9th ranked Tarheels over the top ranked team in the nation, the Huskies from the University of Connecticut.

tarheelblue.ocsn.com...

North Carolina ran the play only one time, good enough for another win over a No. 1 team. It was North Carolina's 10th win over a top-ranked team, tying the Tar Heels with UCLA for the most in college basketball history. The latest one ended when Ben Gordon's 3-point attempt to tie bounced off the rim, setting off a wild celebration. It seemed most of the 21,750 in attendance at the Smith Center headed onto the court.

It was a really exciting game to watch. The Heels dominated the first half and were up by 14 at the half and seemed they might cruise to an easy victory. But as all good teams do, the UConn Huskies battled back and actually were ahead late in the second half. McCants ended up with 27 points, Jawad Williams (pictured above with face shield) dropped in 18, and Melvin Scott added 11.

McCants jumper put them ahead 86-83 and UConn missed their 3-point attempt to tie and that was the end. UNC beating UConn should open the door for their biggest rival to move into the top spot, the #2 Duke BlueDevils. The first UNC-Duke meeting this year is on February 5, it's sure to be a great game.

Ben

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Very good performance by both teams. I thought that the Huskies were definatly going to win this game by a long shot. But Williams definatly had his team ready and willing to show up and hit the big shots when they needed too....i saw that final play and that deserves some props to Williams. JOB WELL done to both teams.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

The first UNC-Duke meeting this year is on February 5, it's sure to be a great game.

I remember all those titanic Kansas-Duke battles. I think Coach K and Roy Williams don't like each other. So to see that twice a year will be a treat indeed.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Coach Williams did do an AMAZING job, and i will be looking forward to that Duke and Heel rivarly, its going to be a lot better than previous years.

new topics

top topics

join