It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Superbowl Final Contenders.

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The waiting will soon be over as the next stage on the road to the superbowl will get underway this weekend.First up it will be New England Patriots v Indianapolis Colts,the leagues best defence v the Leagues best offence.

The pats will be looking to continue there good run of form,boasting the best record in the NFL with there 13 game winning streak.With there well balanced side they will be hard to beat,QB Tom Brady should be there key player and alot wil depend on him but there defence as a unit is one of the best.The Colts on the otherhand have yet to give up a turnover or a penalty,they have the best offence left in the play-offs and they are averaging 40 points a game.It is dynamic and works as a unit,they have to be stopped or they will wreak havok.In a total reverse their running defence is leaky and is very hit and miss and rely's on the offence to score heavily.QB Peyton Manning is playing a vital role in the play-offs so far throwing eight touchdown passes and no interceptions.One other key player is Edgerrin James he is definitley back to his best,averaging 120 yards rushing per play-off game and the reason why he stands out is that he is allowing the play action to happen.

My Prediction - Colts to win

Next up will be Philadelphia Eagles v Carolina Panthers with the Panthers being the surprise package.
The Eagles this season started off pretty slowly but finished it with a bang,they have won nine of their last ten games and it is the third consecutive season they have made it to the NFC finals.QB Donovan Mcnabb will be crucial,he has the record for Play-off rushing and last time out he made three hundred and fifty yards.He is crucial to their success and at the moment is carrying his team.They have a big problem in their defence,it certainly needs to tighten up as they are giving away two hundred yards a game.The Panthers have more than a outside chance as their agressive and pounding style has got the within a breath of the SuperBowl Final.A fairly new organisation of eight years they are having their second winning season having lost in the championship finals back in 1996.Their strenght is the running game getting that all crucial first down anyway they can,Stephen Davis is the top rusher in the league and as long as he plays they will continue to pound the ball and grind it out.A key player could be Steven Smith he opens up quick and he is elusive and has done well so far in the play-off games,nailing a 69 yard touchdown run in overtime last week against the Rams.

My Prediction - Panthers to win

[Edited on 1/16/2004 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I agree, Panthers and Colts!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Sorry TRD got to go against you on both accounts. Philly and NE will win. Manning, while he has been hot simply doesnt have that much help on the defensive side of the ball. The Pats team this year is probably the most balanced team I have ever seen.

In the NFC, the Eagles surprise run this year without anyone spectacular has shocked me. I think Philly just has the better "overall" team. The Panthers defense will give the Eagles hell, but dont forget, pursue type defense like Carolina tend to give up large amounts of yards on the ground to scrambling QB's. I know they didnt allow McNabb nothing in the 1st game, but McNabb also had Westbrook that game. Look for McNabb to take off for some longer runs and keep Carolina's defense stiffled pretty much the whole game.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
These games are going to be real tough,i am going to go for the Pats v Panthers final.I think the Pats have got what it takes to go all the way and win the Bowl final.The Panthers i feel will beat the Phillies i just think they will outscore them.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
.The Panthers i feel will beat the Phillies i just think they will outscore them.

You mean the Eagles right? Jim Thome would make a hell of a linebacker though!

Ben

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Manning is one hot QB, but on the other hand the NE defense has got to be the strongest in the league. Especially in the cold, where the patriots will have a very strong advantage.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm going with Panthers and Colts as well.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Im going with New England over the Colts and the Eagles over the Panthers, with the Patriots winning it all in the Super Bowl. I believe that defense wins Championships in the NFL!

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I personally think that the winner of the AFC Championship Game will be the Super Bowl winner.

I can't wait for the AFC game tomorrow. You got a juggernaut offense vs. Belichick's incredible defense. I'm rooting for Peyton because he seems like a great guy but we'll see once again if great defense shuts down great offense.

new topics

top topics

join