It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get way ahead in your classes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Tutor yourself.

No, really.

Go to the bookstore, find a book or two on the subject you want to learn. Go home and start studying.

If you put enough effort into it, you should be able to master a year long course in a month or two.

It worked for me!

Yes, it can be very difficult and frustrating at times, but that comes with everything you try to learn. It's all in the effort and willpower that you put in.

I did it, and now I'm two years ahead of my math class.

Trust me, it really works.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
sounds like a great idea, now if only I had the time.

I'm already carrying 12 hrs, a full time job and a family.

Good advice tho.

BG

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I go to a school where being ahead is REQUIRED!
That is of no help here

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny
I go to a school where being ahead is REQUIRED!
That is of no help here

thx, what about using the books they give u instead?? doesn't that kinda help

i think i'll stick down to it from....now, my exams are due in early jan. time to revise..officially, my time for ATS has officially been totalled

thx for the motivation,
Cyrus

[Edited on 7-12-2003 by Cyrus]

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Saucerat,
What I did in my first four years of college was:
* Time management: Very crucial and takes discipline.
* During my breaks: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and time off before next year started......was buy used books prior to the classes I would attended...for example: before the end of the first year, I would have a general idea of the classes I would take the first sememster of the second year and in such, would go to the campus bookstore and buy the old/used books for those coarses and study for them during my time off prior to the next year starting. When your carrying 19-21 credit hours a semester....again, time management is a must, then compound it with fiance', sports and working......tough act, kinda like beergoggles, but with perseverance and determination and focus, it can and has been done....keep your eyes focused on the "big picture"...the end result/goal.

* Grad. school is a bit different and is not the same as the first four years, at least not for me. More information and writing intensive, with not nearly the same amount of classroom time involved.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Saucerat,

That�s why home schooling works, you can teach your child a school years worth of learning in a month. When I was in second grade I was reading at the ninth grade level and could absorb most 12th grade material.

Machine

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm not a genius but I did graduate university with an A' average and was on the Deans list two years.

I was also offered graduate work in 4 different disciplines too.

I advised students as a volunteer advisor the following:

1. Get to know your instructor and particularily grad students assisting in a course.

2. Always ask questions regarding work that is to be marked where you are not perfectly clear on what is being asked for.

3. Show up to classes even if you are late occasionally.

4. Appear alert in class and interested. Ask questions and assist the instructor/professor in interactive learning efforts.

5. Assist other students that ask for help and especially be seen doing this.

6. Work hard.

7. Understand the instructors/professors persectives on the subject and why they believe what they do, ask if not certain, and always consider them even when you choose to disagree.

thus: unless you are of miserly talent, prepare to collect your A.'

yes, you can study ahead and read every book in the library and trust me I did some of this too. It also helps to be cross-disciplinary too, this indicates a true academic inclination to those that rate you.

education is a system and as such a bit of a game, but you have to work at it. Often your best learning is spent in conversations with friends, reading that book in the study carrel that sounds interesting, or posing a purely hypothetical question to your professor.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Good tips, THENEO.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Machine
Saucerat,

That�s why home schooling works, you can teach your child a school years worth of learning in a month. When I was in second grade I was reading at the ninth grade level and could absorb most 12th grade material.

Machine

IF you have a good teacher. I know someone else who was homeschooled, and was way ahead in maths, but her english was lacking so that she only offically graduated high school at the age of twenty. not that late, but certainly not getting ahead

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
How is that worse than the public system?

Where I come from they are terrible in language skills and in maths!

At least that person could become a programmer and make a good living.

new topics

top topics

join