It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's vision lost on Web generation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In my opinion I don't know if it has as much to do with NASA lieing as much as it would have to do with NASA being looked at as just another bloated government agency.

As for getting younger people interested in long range space exploration, I'm not quite sure how excited your average 18-25 year old is going to be about hearing the good word from Patrick Stewart or David Duchovny.

The CIA used jennifer garner from Alias for recruiting purposes but at least her show was on at the time.

I would think going the army route and producing a video game would do a better job of it. Some sort of rts on realistic space exploration and colonization.

It's NASA take some of that money and call sid meier or the sims people or both and then make sure somebody sends all the kids at G4 a muffin basket.

IMO of course.

Spiderj

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Depends which poll you look at. Just because you found one poll to go against my 3 sources dont think you are all of a sudden on the high horse of knowledge.

Find 2 more sources to go against my 3 sources then we will compare.

Your three sources were worthless:

Some impressionable kid who is so weak he can have his opinion swayed by a video on YouTube.

Some actor who stated an opinion about people's belief in a UFO coverup from which you inferred, from an opinion, an involvement of NASA.

And something about the CIA.

Yeah, really solid ground you have there to argue that the majority distrust NASA...

My source was people actually asking other people "What is your opinion of this agency?" backed by real numbers.

You're right... your three sources look like ants from up here.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sure, but it does sound like my people know a bit more about the context of the argument than your people do.

The three sources I have listed are pretty solid and so far you are the only one challenging their validity.

We should stop bickering with each other and start listing other reasons the youth of america is not interested in NASA. I am certain it is not the same reason for every kid across this country, right?

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
HAH! The context was your statement that the reason the American youth, then expanded to "most people", are disinterested in the space program is because they believe NASA has been keeping secrets from them.

So you rattle off an opinion of a nobody, an opinion of an actor, and a statement about an unrelated agency. Truely damning testimony.

My "people" ARE the context.

But if you wish to turn tail and run from your argument, so be it. I think I already gave a pretty obvious reason for the lack of interest. That reason being space travel has become routine and boring.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i think the real reason the youth(and myself included)are against prgress in nasa is becuase we see it as a waste of money, if nasa travels to mars or out of our solar system, i know i wouldnt be aloud to go. why should i pay for somthing and get nothing in return. from this perspective its just plain theft. ppl are dieing from starvation, stupid wars are being fought. we as a whole havent got are sh*t together, and i see no reason why i should give a handful of spacemonkeys, the resources to go and f**k up another planet.

regardless what the ppl want nasa will still get its funding, and we will get the bill.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Glyph_D]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Perhaps the first thing we need to do to market this new spac interest is to SEND IN THE MARINES.
Marines are the amphibious soldier, therefore sending a constant rotating platoon or something to gaurd whatever is up there and get training in that kind of environment will definetly garner some interest. not only that, it will boost the recruitment rate too

Fact is, if an average kid can even have a high probability of visiting the Moon by joining the military, many would be likely to get their interests spurred. Then we can also have those who have initially gone through their 6 month or stationing can show up on talk shows, kid shows, and all kinds of shows, with footage of what they did, and talk about what they did. Blast that all over the news, and I think we will generate a lot of interest believe it or not.

I am 21, and although I may never see a spot in the Space Agency, I am in full support of it. Who cares about UFO's and whether or not we did land on the moon in 69!? We can definetly go to the moon now, and very well should do so. Its not like people who distrust the government all of a sudden stop utilizing their services, or leave the country. Why should you carry that grudge for NASA then?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Good post DYepes, I can see that creating a lot of interest for NASA/Space Exploration.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I'm just writing because I was checking out ATS and I saw there was a poll going on right now on MSNBC about if life exists elsewhere in the universe and if it does what kind would it be microbial or intelligent life and right now the survey says that 78% of the voters believe; "we will detect signs of intelligent extraterrestrial life, if we haven't done so already."

Thanks Classified Material for the Link,
www.abovetopsecret.com...#
There is a link to his thread.

The "if we haven't done so already." part of the poll suggests that we might have come into contact with extraterrestrial life already. Since this is only part of the option, the other part being about detecting "signs of intelligent life" in the future. I'm sure more people believe that we will find some intelligent life further in our future than they believe we have done so already but I'm also certain many more believe both than believing just one or the other. So what does that lead to me to believe? I now think that probably about 60 percent of the public distrusts NASA and a greater percentage distrusts the CIA and FBI on some level.

Personally I think this survey strengthens my argument.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well, I am disappointed that more people my age dont show an interest in space exploration, but there are still many. I realize, as do others, that space exploration is the only hope for the growth and continued existance of the human race.

I think that many are disappointed that we are not further along in our understanding and ability to travel in space. I remember my father telling me that he, and most people of that time period, thought that by 1999 we would be wear star trek was in the 60's
. a bit silly, but the world was changing so rapidly in the 60's Im sure that many really did think that the humanb race would be exploring alpha centauri by now.

Oh well, we will just have to wait until we have warp drive,

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Sometimes in the past, when I was taking a puff at the peace pipe, I would visit Alpha Centauri. There is already an American Flag there, and a barbed Wire fence that says "NO TRESSPASSING, PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT" continues to keep me from exploring any further.

My favorite thing about the psace stuff is those beautiful pictures of Nebulas and Galaxies and clusters and such. Very vibrant, brilliant colorful images.

apc

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

The "if we haven't done so already." part of the poll suggests that we might have come into contact with extraterrestrial life already. Since this is only part of the option, the other part being about detecting "signs of intelligent life" in the future. I'm sure more people believe that we will find some intelligent life further in our future than they believe we have done so already but I'm also certain many more believe both than believing just one or the other. So what does that lead to me to believe? I now think that probably about 60 percent of the public distrusts NASA and a greater percentage distrusts the CIA and FBI on some level.

Personally I think this survey strengthens my argument.

Many more believe both than believing just one or the other?

What...?

Sigh... I assure you, the majority does not think we have already detected life save possibly the Martian rock worms. And I think you need to brush up on your math... 23 + 50 = 73% having a favorable opinion of NASA.

But I agree with your final thought. When your argument is made out of nothing, more nothing only strengthens the nothingness.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i believe ppl do think there is already life out there. the ufo business is too big go sifting through the claims and disinfo, im certain the common person would just agree that intelligent life does exist, as to not be considered closed minded. and im also certain they would adopt the idea that the govt and nasa are hiding things, if we have indeed already had contact(its the only logical explanation)

really in this day and age what kind of intelligent person would believe that the universe is lifeless save earth?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Apc go spam somewhere else, you are not contributing anything to the conversation at hand so please go and don't say anything before you go.

Mods can someone help me save my thread from this guy?

apc

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
SPAM? I don't recall advertising anything... I have merely been showing you that you are wrong. Yet you stubbornly cling to your delusion that the majority of people agree with the opinion made in your opening post. Terribly sorry to tear that away from you.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Gosh APC, I wish I was as smart as you so I could of found the one true poll online.

Gosh, the polls and sources I have found are all real stupid compared to your sources.

Where did you find all of this truth online, your brain must hurt cause you are so smart.

APC if you were a superhero your special power would be the ability to turn nonsense into truth, by telling yourself something over and over again. This special power in your eyes makes you extremely intelligent and makes debating with you more difficult than explaining geometry to the mentally deficient.
While others will attempt to explain basic geometrical shapes several different ways to you, you will be baning a club against your head saying; "fire, fire." However, in your neanderthal brain you will know you are right. Hence the reason you will never understand what this thread is about.

You find one survey online and force it down our throats like gospel. Do you happen to be Mormon or are you just a facist nazi by nature, Im guessing the latter. Go start your own thread and get the hell out of mine, pal.

To all else at ATS, I invite you to offer other explanations to why the youth of America is disinterested in NASA. Please, do not believe like the superhero above that there is just one reason why every single kid in the US doesn't like NASA and on top of that just one true poll that encompasses that truth. lol, thanks for gettting my back mods, lol.

apc

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Where did you find all of this truth online, your brain must hurt cause you are so smart.

Damn straight. Oh, the agony.

I don't know why you keep crying for mods to rescue you... God himself can't change the fact that you are wrong and refuse to accept it.

>
I just can't resist having more fun with this...
Since you are so eager to point out that my one very applicable and quite solid survey stands alone compared to your three completely irrelevant and pointless bits of information, here yah go!

NASA could learn from schools.
A CNN/USA Today/Gallup survey taken late last month found that just 53 percent rate NASA’s job performance as excellent or good.

Does 53% qualify as "most"? Oh I think it does!

Here's a pretty poll result chart that shows the majority of those polled trust NASA to send them into space more than any other entity.

So, when you're done making little childish attempts at insulting me and ranting about why noone loves you, take a moment to rethink the foundation of your initial argument. If you have the time, that is.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Here's a pretty poll result chart that shows the majority of those polled trust NASA to send them into space more than any other entity.

ok im goin to intervene, of course this poll results in nasa's favor becuase ppl know absolutely nothing about Russia or private enterprise.

as for the school topic

link
The first lesson is that NASA must behave as if it is involved in a permanent campaign for approval.

A recent CBS News poll said 59 percent of Americans feel the space-shuttle program is worth continuing, much lower than recorded in prior surveys.

this indicates that nasa is on a decline of approval.

this is a poor argument whether most ppl do or do not trust nasa.

the point is ppl dont want nasa as much as they did in the past. grab an excuse out of a bag full of excuses it doesnt matter.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by Glyph_D]

apc

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glyph_D
the point is ppl dont want nasa as much as they did in the past. grab an excuse out of a bag full of excuses it doesnt matter.

Indeed, but the "excuse" that the disinterest is because most people believe NASA has lied to them is patently false. That's all I have been arguing. Most sane and rational people are willing to admit when they are wrong. If Low Orbit would be so kind as to simply say "Hey, I'm wrong" rather than continuing to ramble on about how strong their stated opinion is, when it is simply not true, this bit of entertainment would be over.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join