It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

getting off mars the big problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
the problem with getting to mars is not that bad the big problem is getting back. When the us landed on the moon they did not need heat shields because there is not considerable atmosphere on the moon and they didnt need all that fuel to get off either. The bad thing about mars is that it has an atmosphere and the lander will need a heat shield as well as a vast amount of propellent to get off mars for the return trip. anyone have any links on artist impression or mission plans including landing and getting back etc. im working currently on a plan to create a large ion engine with conventional rockets that would get us to mars in 2 months in theory of course any more help i would really
like it .

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow, you're working on that and you ask us what is Mars' atmosphere like?

I guess this means we are talking somewhat hypothetically. So perhaps you could somehow tap into the frozen water on Mars, use solar panels to create power to break down the water into H and O and use those as your fuel to return.

Mars can be like a great big self serve petrol station.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
ok sorry about the past post on the atmosphere question i just forgot if it was mostly hydrogen or nitrogen based since its hydrogen based hydrogen can be broken down into methane gas and a bi-product water. with all that extra methane you could load up the mars return vehcile to return to the earth return ship. but the concept im working on is one ship leaves earth and you return on the same ship using high power ion or xenon ion microwave propulsion systems combined with conventional booster rockets. this would cut down on fuel payload and would boost other payload possibilities. But still even with the advanced propulsion the mission would consist of 2 parts. when im through working on the project ill post my findings ive also sent my concept to the glen research center where the most advanced ion engines are being made and tested.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Did they suggest you go and do some sort of basic Chemistry course?

If not I am

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 04:37 AM
link   
LOL kano...

Kriskoas: robert zubrin has the best 'on the cheap' idea for going to mars, and comeing back, basicly it does as you said..... i dont remember the specifics.... but if you search it is a easy find... his idea was to send something along the lines of 6kg of water or something.... and basicly it would be a remanufacturing process of turning 6kgs of nothing into 21kg of fuel..or something along those likes, like i said i dont remember the specifics but it would be cheap and EASY to do.... search 'Robert Zubrin'

top topics

join