It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopping for a home: Survival a priority?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I am in the process of relocating and shopping for a new (to me) home. I originally placed survival as the #1 priority that would determine location and the features of the home.

I found a place that I consider a survivalist's dream come true, and I looked at it with a realtor yesterday, but reality is hitting home...

How many factors can be sacrificed for the sake of a home that will probably enable the occupants to survive any disaster?

My only reason for not pursuing this home any more is that it is a little too remote and secluded. I am thinking of fire/EMS/police response in case of an emergency.

BUT...

...might the "survivability" of the place make it worthwhile?

Here are some of the pros of this home (purposefully vague on some details so nobody can narrow it down):

Over 100 acres abutting state and national forests on 3 sides.
Home is at the end of an old logging road, located about a mile in from the property's gate.
6 miles from the nearest public paved road (remote narrow back road); about 11 miles from nearest traveled road.
Nearest "neighbor" is a seasonal hunting cabin 2 miles away.
Home is 4 years old, 100% solar (200A system installed last year), 100% wood-heated (two chimneys), spring-fed water supply, LP water heating, LP appliances w/electric backup capability, existing LP generator professionally installed and wired into home (I own a large gasoline one as well).
Home has concealed basement (home appears to be sitting on a slab) with entry/exit below kitchen cabinets (basically I can't imagine anyone finding it unless they know what to look for...I am a seasoned law enforcement officer and have served as an MP in the Army and know how to search buildings, and I could find absolutely no clue that such an access portal existed).

Now the one HUGE con...
Final approach to the home (last 1/4 mile to 1/3 mile or so) can not be navigated with any vehicle I own, and probably 90% of most civilian vehicles. I imagine that one would need to park a large-displacement 4WD ATV near where the car park is in order to be able to access the home quickly after parking a car-- and even maneuvering an ATV may be impossible. A "deuce and a half" probably could not make it, I know what those are capable of. Even a 5-ton I am not sure could do it. I think an HMMWV could, but I am not sure, I would be hesitant to attempt it...and I've been driving HMMWVs for 12 years and know what they can do! We are talking an old logging road with skidder-tire-sized ruts (about 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep) that are eroding. Oh, and did I mention this is all uphill, about a 12% grade I'd say! I don't think there is a vehicle I have driven in my life that I would feel 100% confident attempting to drive that with.

The slope of the hill and how the "driveway" winds makes me believe that even if I had all the money in the world and top engineers working with me, I do not think I could ever make it into a road that normal vehicles could access...well, without sacrificing the rustic environment. I refuse to
make the front of my wilderness dream home into a huge concrete ramp.

I can not imagine how a fire/EMS/police department could respond right up to the house unless they had extremely heavy-duty off-road trucks with high ground clearance. I inquired about this to the realtor and he is going to have the local fire chief call me (volunteer department, this is a VERY rural area) this week. I suppose if they have some hardcore forest-fire trucks in the department, those could probably get to the house, but I really worry about that.
And we aren't even talking homeowner's insurance yet!

So where do I draw the line between my dream home/survival paradise, and practicality? What would YOU do? Any questions I could ask the realtor for more info (already sent him back with a huge list)?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
That sounds like a truly amazing house, shame about that damn road though.

Would it not just be possible to fill in those tracks? Obviously i have no idea what the place actualy looks like but would it be feasible to just truck in some gravel and topsoil to fill in those tracks and atleast make it possible for a 4x4 to climb.

Even still unless you plan on only driving a 4x4 to do your shopping etc then changing over each time you need to drive that last little stretch would soon become a pain in the neck.

Even if you come up with a way to get to you new home without the aide of a tank then you ahve left yourself open to a desaster because you cant be reached by the emergance services, but then thats a risk only you can decide if its worth it or not.

A property that is hard to get to, could also mean its hard to get away from in an event that you need to get as far away from the area as possible in a short space of time. Its really just trying to strike a ballance between what your willing to spend - miss out on - or take a risk on.

It seems like a great place to live, and i would love to have somewhere like that minus the rubbish road.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by therainmaker
So where do I draw the line between my dream home/survival paradise, and practicality? What would YOU do?

Unfortunately $$$ is a factor for us. If we had lotto money and could do exactly what we want, I would definately be going with the survival paradise route. DEFINATELY.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I would snag that house in a second. Roads can be fixed with a little sweat equity but off grid houses dont come on the market every day. By getting that house you hafve taken one step closer to survival. Think of stepping out the back door and shooting supper while the city folk kill one another for a cookie. Something to think about.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think you need to be practical first. Being preapred (a survivalist) is important. But although I've owned a fire extinguisher (at least one) my entire adult life, I've never had to use one.

Your home is going to be, first and foremost, your home. You need to shop, do laundry, go out, all the stuff of life. It needs to be relatively conveninet or living in your new home is going to suck. Sure, in the unlikely possibility that the SHTF you might be somewhat better off. But is it reasonable to trade-off the day-to-day pleasure of life for that possibility? I think finding that balance of a rich life now and a situation that provides some security and the ability to self-sustain is the key.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
A few years ago I rented a 30,000 Lb dozer with a 10' blade to cut roads on my land for $1200 a week.

Just make 12" "humps" perpendicular but at slight angle to the roadway every hundred feet or so to force water to the side. This will cut the erosion down to a managable level.

Most pickups and SUV's can negotiate the "hump"

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think the fact that you have doubts about it says everything. That home is on the extreme side, designed by and for someone who knows that's where they want to be.

I personally plot a dual course lifestyle. Living close to the 'edge' of a rural setting is one thing. Living in the woods is another. I think as long as you have an open route out of your rural setting into deeper woods, your fine. The right neighbors can be a plus too, if you don't have to bug out. A community could give you huge advantages in security and what not.

I'd keep the location of that place in mind though. If SIT X were to happen soon and it hasn't sold, could be a good hideout/stopover!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
If anyone is interested in this property, we have decided not to purchase it. Though the house is my dream, 100% off-grid, no neighbors and no chance of neighbors, etc etc etc...reality is that the property is far too inaccessible for my tastes, in regard to emergency vehicles, relatives and friends visiting, etc.

If you want information on the property, send me a U2U and I will point you in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This sounds like a great house. If anything, the lack of road access makes it safer, because it is more difficult for people/cars/unwanted people/gubment to get in.

I don't live in the US and have no intention of living there, but I'm interested in how much a house like this would sell for over there, roughly?

And can you also tell us, why did the original owner decide to sell after just 4 years?

[edit on 6-4-2007 by JimBob77]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
As far as emergency vehicles go...let me tell you about something. In the average metroplex, emergency services response range from six to twelve minutes on priority one calls (OH !!!! I'm being murdered!) to half an hour to nonessential calls. In a lot of cases, the damage is already done. The house is already a write-off, the victim is already fatally perforated. I would have taken that house in a Solaris second.

DE

new topics

top topics

join