It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teeth, toothache, tooth removal in a survival situation.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
And remember the toothache plant en.wikipedia.org... super easy to grow..

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Clove oil works great and it's worth having some in your BOB. If you toss some whole cloves in a tiny container and seal it even better and takes up very little space. Makes squirrel taste yummy too.

The wiki for cloves

The wiki for clove oil

It's a good idea to go to the dentist and make sure your teeth are in good working order BEFORE all hell breaks loose, than wait and possibly suffer at the worst of times.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Osha root and osha tincture are very good for gum infections and tooth pain...I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this one. You can buy some smallish pieces of osha root, chew on them for a while to soften a bit then use as a disinfecting toothbrush. Don't overdo it though because using to much osha can inflame the gum and cause a sore. I have no medical or herbal expertise - this is something that was recommended to me by an herbalist and something I used to keep a nasty tooth and gum abscess under control until I could afford to go to the dentist.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Toothache invariably kicks in late at night because you're lying flat in bed & the blood flow increases to your head. So one small comfort is to prop yourself up as best u can, it takes the "throb" away from the bad tooth.

I had toothache a few weeks back, cracked tooth, since filled, nightmare. Agony like you wouldn't believe. Brushed the area as best I could, followed by some (non alcohol) mouthwash, then followed 30 mins later by a rinse with salty water then a few dabs of clove oil (which is so cheap ... seriously ... £0.50).

Followed up, of course, with a couple of painkillers. Sorted.

In fact, that's what I wanted to ask. Painkillers ... what to use as a painkiller in a survival situation ?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The Lass

I have two REALLY big bottles of Excedrin extra-strength with caffeine in my BOB. I think they'll come in real handy if I ever find myself both injured and without my morning coffee. I also carry a smaller bottle of aspirin...

I also keep a small fortune in caffeinated powdered drink mixes (water additives = yay!).

Yes, caffeine is a mild diuretic, but the oft-repeated myth that it is a super-diuretic has not been proven out, and I see it as a risk vs. reward situation. Unfortunately, I'm a caffeine addict, and if it's not readily available, I simply do not function at my peak.

Privation is bad enough on its own, exhaustion, hunger, thirst, fear, stress, etc. - why not mitigate one of the easy ones by giving myself enough caffeine to step-down gradually and avoid the possibility of a crash?

Some purists will argue that it's a crutch, and shouldn't be taking up space in the bag. They're right, of course, but I could argue that a flashlight is a crutch. It is, certainly, but it's also a huge comfort on your first night in the woods. So why not provide yourself with some small comforts, in an effort to cushion the blow?

For the same reason, I pack tobacco - if I don't want to quit now, when skies are sunny(ish), I won't want to quit smoking when the fit hits the shan. But, it's something that has to be done, so I have enough tobacco to step down gradually and mitigate the discomfort and stress.

Also, tobacco can effectively treat a toothache.

For the really bad toothaches, I've packed a pair of pliers.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Painkiller in a survival situation you WONT be able to beat poppy pods,yes they are illegal today boo hoo,but if your in serious pain nobody cares about laws.If you can get prescription opiates,stock up and use them.If not grow poppies(very very easy) or find them in the wild.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

If you can find a willow tree, you can use the bark.
It's contains Salicylates (asprin like stuff) it's good for inflammation as well.

Willow bark

You would have to try and find a plant that's local.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Honey has been mentioned, and I thought I would mention a product called medihoney, it would be great in a bob.

www.findoutaboutmouthulcers.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Lass
Toothache invariably kicks in late at night because you're lying flat in bed & the blood flow increases to your head. So one small comfort is to prop yourself up as best u can, it takes the "throb" away from the bad tooth.

I had toothache a few weeks back, cracked tooth, since filled, nightmare. Agony like you wouldn't believe. Brushed the area as best I could, followed by some (non alcohol) mouthwash, then followed 30 mins later by a rinse with salty water then a few dabs of clove oil (which is so cheap ... seriously ... £0.50).

Followed up, of course, with a couple of painkillers. Sorted.

In fact, that's what I wanted to ask. Painkillers ... what to use as a painkiller in a survival situation ?

Alcoholic beverages for real bad pain. Willow tree bark for lite pain. Make a tea with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have actually planned for this.

You know what trumps all other Painkillers and is in a tiny itty bitty bottle?

ORAJEL!!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/849c461bdfe0.jpg[/atsimg]
Click me for awesomeness

Not only that I have a small dental set and a years supply of antibacterial/viral medicine.

[edit on 3/13/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Front teeth are a bit different than back teeth.

If you can live through and heal the absesses - I suggest plenty of booze, trust me - Front teeth will die probably but if you keep them clean they will calcify the roots all the way up to be bone.

I'm not theorizing here. I've got three of these. Under crowns now, because I like being pretty and they do become discoloured over time.

After living with a couple of absesses for several days from previously injured teeth, and then considering what people would have done before novacaine and dental care.....well it dawned on me why so damn many people were alcoholics.

You might survive a minor absess in your gums. Probably draining it is a better idea. Carefully.

I think that back teeth are more likely to rot out. However, that is what wisdom teeth are for if you still have them. So that you have teeth that grow all the time that can replace the teeth that rot out.

Not useful for most of us adults that had them out. But, hey it might be good for your children.

Absesses, boils, etc - turmeric, and oregano oil.

[edit on 2009/3/14 by Aeons]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have used this fabulous recipy instead of toothpaste, it controls plaque, and really keeps the mouth clean.

Myrrh is dried sap from a tree, I grind it in my coffe grinder, keep it in a small jarr.

Tea tree oil(good for so many things)

put a bit of powder in the palm of your hand and one drop of tea tree oil to wet it, then brush.

Good for emergency and dayly use

[edit on 14-3-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Let them rot and fall out, infections, yanking them with pliers. Maybe I'll just save myself all that trouble and get them all pulled now and load up on dentures.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Watch Castaway starrinig Tom Hanks

You'll know what to do....

CX

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Lots of great advice here, thanks everyone.

I recently bought some Mauka honey, after seeing some of the videos of it's effects on YouTube, i decided to give it a go. There some excellent results with trauma to the body.

Funnily enough, i had a tooth pulled yesterday. One think to be aware of, and i didn't know this until the dentist told me....i had a back molar pulled nd he said you have to be careful as it is right under your sinus. So pulling it could result in a hole going straight up into your sinus, not good.

This in turn would require stitches and everything else that comes with that.

As many have said here though, preventiom is definately better than the cure.

Another thing which should get people cleaning....i used to look after a little boy with a hole in the heart. I once asked about doing fitness with him as i was worried about his heart. The heart doc told me there is more risk to him from not cleaning his teeth than from over exerting himeslf.

Can't remember why, but poor oral hygiene can have an effect on the heart somehow.

Just to note....the dentisy yesterday took an hour to get my tooth out, eventualy having to drill it out in 3 bits as it was set so deep.

I don't think i'd have ben able to do that myself, even if drunk.

CX.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I read somewhere once that Aboriginals here crush up a certain type of ant and rub it on their gum and it would numb the area and provide some pain relief.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I just got a free download of "When there is no dentist" There are quite a few other free downloads relating to medical issues available there as well.

The dental book does require you to have access to some dental instruments as well as a supply of local anaesthetic, but that's what preparation is all about isn't it?

You can find it here

[edit on 25-7-2009 by tangotemper]

[edit on 25-7-2009 by tangotemper]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

medi honey - pack it with the other stuff.

bacitracin and separate triple antiobiotic ointment.

any oral antibiotics you haven't used - keep em. better than nothing,

i don't care about expiration dates (and im a doctor); yes, some do expire though.

in my own case - treat any dental infection with pcn or augmentin

(amoxicillen with clavulante) or cephalosporin class (cefuroxime)

or if allergic, clindamycin (excellent, my choice).

sterilizing the mouth is quite difficult - high proof ethanol in a pinch

helps, mouthwash, or if you're lucky betadine on the gingiva.

i wouldn't recommend attempting pulling the tooth until

antibiotics have given you relief (usually after 24-48 hrs) and

then you'll need a medically trained person to help.

the roots getting retained and the possibility of a 'dry socket' (no blood

clot on wound) are all bad.

www.americasdentalbookstore.com...

www.toothandteeth.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

more plaque means more bacteria inciting more inflammation leading

to more inflammatory mediators and increasing your chance of an

atherosclerotic coronary artery lesion - it can then rupture with more intense inflammotory

fibrin cap leading to occlusion and heart attack. etc. that's the theory.

just brush and rinse/ floss regularly - even in a survival situation, you

can make or carry the necessary tools.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
Watch Castaway starrinig Tom Hanks

You'll know what to do....

LOL I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Bug out bag checklist:
matches...check!
compass...check!
fishing hooks...check!
Ice skate...check!
Big rock for hitting ice skate...check!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join